Stef & Darkcobra's Maiden Shrimp Voyage

Darkcobra

Thank you, Water7!

I am so excited about finally getting Crystal Reds! They are what sparked my interest in shrimp from the get-go, although I am learning so much about the different species. They are doing well and getting bigger.

The plants in the "swirly motion pic" are far left, Scarlet Temple, although in low light it's not so scarlet, middle is Christmas Moss, and the stringy stuff up top is Java Moss. 

There is also Mini Petite Anubias, Hydrocotyle Japan, Moss Balls, Windelov Fern, and a tiny "bush" of Blyxa Japonica. It hasn't grown, but hasn't died-just stays frozen in time like a plastic plant. Sorry if I butchered any spelling of plant names.

There are really no ferts added, and it's VERY low light, but near a window if that makes any difference.

I mix my own feeds up, and DarkCobra mixes up the re-mineralizer. He'll reply with what it contains because technically, I don't know why they are growing so well. Maybe it's the dried banana leaf?

:) Stef*

Hey [Water7]!

Four days ago I did a full round of tests on the shrimp tank to make sure everything is going as expected.  I was planning on posting that anyway, so I'll roll that together with answering your question on ferts.

My thoughts on each result in parenthesis:

pH: 6.0  (May actually be lower as this is the bottom of the test scale, is this suppressing biofilter function?)
Ammonia: 0.25ppm  (Yep, it is.)
Nitrite: 0ppm  (At least this is fine.)
Nitrate: 40ppm  (Coming back up again and higher than the 20ppm max I want, the Purigen I added to help keep this down must be running out.)
Phosphate: 0.5ppm  (Low enough that it may be limiting plant ability to uptake ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.)
GH: 13  (Hmm, I wanted no more than 8, I've overshot somehow.)
KH: 0  (Contributing to low pH and biofilter issues, and limiting plants that can use carbonates as a carbon source; both of which affect ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels.)

The shrimp seem to be healthy, active, and berried despite multiple small issues.  So no need for panic or rapid changes, I can correct these slowly and carefully.

Now this is first and foremost a shrimp tank, not a planted tank like most of our others.  We've tried to add shrimp to our planted tanks in the past and this resulted in the death of the shrimp.  So in this one, the plants are only there to assist in keeping a healthy environment for the shrimp.  And whether plants grow to my normal standards, or remain algae-free, is not the primary consideration.

But I currently have issues with both ammonia and nitrate that could affect the shrimp.  And that plants can help me more with, if I just provide a little more of what they need to do it.

I haven't dosed nitrate/phosphate before, assuming plenty will come from shrimp food.  The nitrate certainly is!  But that food isn't supplying adequate phosphate is a surprise.  So for the first time four days ago, I dosed a bit of it.  And I mean a bit - only 1/256 tsp. of dry KH2PO4!  Of course with such tiny measurements, that may not have been terribly exact. ;)

At the same time, I added 1/64 tsp. of baking soda to bump KH up half a degree.  I've repeated this dosage twice more since then, each time the pH dips below 6.5.  I want it in the 6.5-7.0 range at all times if possible.

These two changes have improved biofilter and plant function, and eliminated the ammonia reading after two days.  Perhaps continuing this will allow plants to also keep the nitrates reasonable without further assistance from Purigen.  I'll have to try it and see.

Two days from now is water change day.  So I'll be mixing a new batch of DIY remineralized water.  This currently supplies calcium and magnesium (GH), baking soda (KH and sodium), and potassium.  Plus a tiny bit of chloride and iodine.  All of these components are primarily for the benefit of the shrimp, though most help plants as well to various degrees.  I'll have to figure out where I went wrong with GH and reduce it.  Plus increase KH, and start including phosphate, to reduce or eliminate supplemental testing/dosing.

What I don't add, and don't plan to add anytime soon, is iron and other plant micros (excepting the ones previously mentioned).  The plants get some from food, if it's not enough, then oh well.  I don't care to risk potential toxicity to shrimp by adding these separately.  And the plants are growing well enough it doesn't seem to be necessary anyway.  I also don't add Excel or CO2.  All of these being suspects of why shrimp never survived for us in our planted tanks before.

We have a little black spot algae on some of the plants.  Although eliminating that isn't a concern, it will be interesting to see if it's affected by recent and upcoming changes.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

I can't wait to be able to start up a tank like this. I am currently in the 1st yr owning my first home so things have been hectic, I don't know if I could keep up this much detail. My current tanks are great, just take water out, add freshwater (and dechlor)

The 6 CRS I got were also raised in local tap water and seem to be doing ok, I gotta say I really prefer the A-S+ grades over any of the others, I know these are the common ones, but I like the striping much more than just a majority white

The pumkins look so big compared to the CRS :) But both are looking like they are getting very spoiled 

Just for you two, gratuitous glassware pr0n. :P

4SKbj5c.jpg

Seriously, I admit I'm probably overdoing things a bit.  But it always seemed to me that there's a bit of voodoo and black magic surrounding shrimpkeeping.  I want to really understand why some things just seem to work, and others fail mysteriously.  Then hopefully boil it down in the end to some simple system, that allows you to be sloppy in a way that's usually well-tolerated, like EI does for plant ferts.  Because I will not always want to hover over this tank with glassware in hand!  I have other hobbies that need attending to as well, hinted at by my tab list. ;)

LMAO

while I like to know whats going on, I'll just wait and watch your results. Me and chemistry don't get along too well

As long as the house is still in one piece; it's all good.

You're safer observing the mental, but sometimes it's fun to participate. 

Oh, the Pumpkins are older than the Crystal reds-they are juvies.

My favorite shrimp and colors are the LIVE ones :)

-Stef*

I tried to respond to this on Friday, but apparently it didn't go through. I wanted to thank you both for your answers to my questions. Stef, the Christmas moss is really nice and looks so healthy! Darkcobra, I appreciate your descriptions of what you're putting in your tank. I am encouraged to see that it's possible to have some very nice-looking plants in a shrimp tank. I've found it very educational to learn from your experiences so far!

[Water7], glad it's helpful!

Did a 20% water change yesterday, using a new batch of remineralized water with 5.5dGH and 10dKH (measured).  Will continue to use this mix until tank reaches 8dGH, and will also measure how fast plants use carbonates as a carbon source.  Tank is now 10.5dGH, 3dKH, ~7.2pH.

There's still the matter of 40ppm nitrates.  Even if the increased KH/PO4 means plants are now causing a net reduction, it'll be slow.  Purigen sure helped before but not for very long.  I didn't test often enough to know exactly how long (I hate nitrate tests), but it was less than a month.  So I made a new sachet containing 2 tbsp. of Purigen.  And dissected the old one:

P1130656p.jpg

At bottom left the outer layer is shown, which looks mostly used up.  But at the top right I dug down a little, and it looks just like new.  So it's obvious that between the tight mesh of the panty hose, the low flow rate of the nano HOB, and the funky way I had to wedge the sachet in there which allows plenty of bypass, I'm not getting great flow-through or utilization of the Purigen.

I suppose that when we do water changes, we could just take out and knead the sachet, redistributing the granules and exposing fresh Purigen.  And maybe get a few months out of the sachet instead of less than one.  Will try it and see.  Though if anyone has any clever ideas of how to put Purigen in a nano HOB in a way that this isn't necessary, I'm all ears. ;)

Hmmmm.  Are you able to somehow place single layer of purigen sandwiched flat between two stiff sheets of something?  Then just slide it into the hob?  The Purigen would be used from both sides and none wasted.

Also, used purigen can be recharged again.  Are you familiar with that?

Mmm, "Purigen sandwich". ;)  Sounds like a good idea, plenty of surface area.

I'm currently not regenerating the Purigen.  Don't want to take any risk, no matter how small, that I make a mistake with dechlorination and wipe our first and only shrimp tank.  Even mad scientists set limits, LOL.  And for now, the amount being used and discarded is small enough that it's a trivial expense; under $0.50/month.  Later on should things scale up I may get more adventurous in this regard.

Move over, teddy bears.

The shrimp are having a picnic...

spEdUKJ.jpg

Shrimp Chefs:

y3M0vVu.jpg

Propane and propane accessories:

mJEsOhl.jpg

Relatives bringing potluck?

MwGNxcK.jpg

Found this little molded plastic grill key chain, and, dreaming of Summer (will it ever get here?!), use it as a shrimp feeding dish. At least for this month. Thought I'd share :)

-Stef*

Oh, the neos and the CRS are coexisting just fine!

I don't use Purigen, so I can't tell ya how good recharging is either. LOL

Mmm, "Purigen sandwich". ;)  Sounds like a good idea, plenty of surface area.

I'm currently not regenerating the Purigen.  Don't want to take any risk, no matter how small, that I make a mistake with dechlorination and wipe our first and only shrimp tank.  Even mad scientists set limits, LOL.  And for now, the amount being used and discarded is small enough that it's a trivial expense; under $0.50/month.  Later on should things scale up I may get more adventurous in this regard.