Brown BTOE

So I fed the 20L today, and for the first time in almost 2 months since I added the shrimp to the tank, the BTOE population made a real showing for a meal. I think I counted 8 or 9 at one point which is great since I only added 10 to the tank and by this point had accepted that there may have only been as few as 4 or 5 left since they spend so much time hiding. 

Anyways, I noticed that one of two of them were almost brown compared to the others. Is this what it means for a BTOE to be blonde? I thought blonde OEBT's were when they lacked the blue color, almost clear?

The seller stated that his BTOE breed 100% true and have some Royal Blue genes mixed in so they may throw a few Royals. What does the "breed 100% true" part mean. That they aren't crossed with any other species of shrimp? 

I have some pics I snapped quick of the shrimp eating with the brown one visible. Tired now and going to sleep though so I'll post them tomorrow if necessary. 

Basically you have the get the modifiers lined up right in the shrimp that breed to create offspring with the same lined up modifiers.  Not an easy task by any means- but can be done.

huh? lol I don't think I know nearly enough about genetics to really understand exactly what that means. I get that culling shrimp means removing shrimp with undesirable traits from the gene pool by not allowing them to breed with those that have desirable traits. It just about ends there. 

That shrimp isn't what we generally call "blonde." Blondes are much ligher in color.

Was the shrimp brown when you first bought it from the seller or did it change color later on?

What is your ph in this tank?

I didn't notice that it was brown. They all appeared to be black. I can try to go back through pics and see if I can tell in those. I'm not sure of the ph. My ph reagent seems to have grown legs but I do need it so I'll try to track it down tonight and get back with the ph. I can tell you that I have been remineralizing RO water to a gh of 6 with fluval shrimp minerals. I'm in the process of switching over to salty shrimp kh/gh+ but have only done 2 water changes with that so far. 

These shrimp haven't yet bred for me. Would you recommend removing them from the tank even though there are only 8 currently in it for breeding, or allow them to breed and then attempt to cull the offspring?

huh? lol I don't think I know nearly enough about genetics to really understand exactly what that means. I get that culling shrimp means removing shrimp with undesirable traits from the gene pool by not allowing them to breed with those that have desirable traits. It just about ends there.

heh  That's all you need to know.  Cull the ones that don't look "right." :)

Reason I asked about your ph is that I've experience similar effects with my royal blues. When I first got them, they were all deep blue but after being kept in 6.5 or > ph a number of them turned brown. They molted property and berried so I assumed they were happy and healthy. 

Purely based on my observations but I believe "browning" is an effect of environment rather than genetics. Besides ph, all other parameters were aligned with the sellers.   

The Black Tigers breed the Truest of any Tigers likely because of the dark pigmentation ( You can't see whats going on under there ) But all Tigers tend to not breed true and some especially the Blue ones seldom breed true . I would say all things considered you did very , very well . Even wild tigers vary considerably . So the real attraction should be that you get some that have a deep dark clean black and nice bright eyes ( Same for the other colors )  . This tendency for genetic diversity is likely why they fell out of favor so Quickly in the Japanese market . For a while they were getting astronomical prices for them and now very few are produced anywhere in Asia .