Size of TB/Pinto tank?

I like the large water volume for obvious reasons, however with my neo experience I know that too large and they have have a difficult time finding each other. *sigh*

Get cube tank. Space saving, not too large surface area that hinder breeding and they can be place side-by-side on a single cabinet (if it is strong enough).

Out of my 11 tanks, 10 of them are 60cm cube tank. They have water capacity of 120L (minus away the substrate, layout materials and top space).

What type of Pinto and TB are you getting? Some of them are sensitive to water parameters changes and some are not. If you are getting the sensitive type, you definitely need to have large water capacity tank (which is why I am using 60cm cube).

If cube tank is not easily available in your area, you can try the 60cm tall tank (60x30x50; 90L), which people usually use it as nano saltwater tank.

You should look at what you love most. ;)

Avoid Zebra Pinto. If I'm not wrong, the gene you got in US are already diluted. This means it will not have consistent off-spring, coloration and pattern. If you are able to get Spotted Head or Skunk-pattern Pinto in US, you will have to be careful. They die easily if you pH is below 6.2. In actual fact, they are quite sensitive and they are too costly to keep at this moment. I know the Taiwanese and Chinese shrimp farm already mass producing spotted head Pinto but most of them have 2 to 4 spots, which do not look good.

For Taiwan Bee, normal Blue Bolt is most hardy. Follows by Black King Kong, Panda Hinomaru, Panda Mosura and Shadow Panda Mosura. After that will be Black King Kong Extreme and any pure type of Wine Red family; those mixed gene types are hard to say and I will strongly suggest you to avoid them (you will not know what offspring they will give birth to). The easiest to die will be the Flower-head Mosura Blue Bolt/Panda (this is very hard to come by nowadays).

I started my tb colony in a 7g cube and now I have hundreds. Today I'm starting to move tb's to a 20L that has been running since June. I'm gonna keep selective tb and tibee in the 7g in hopes for  pintos. Whatever culls show up I will add to the 20L. Depending on how many shrimp you start with I think 7-10 gallon is good. Can't wait to see.

personally go with what you are comfertable with. my tb are in a 5 gal tank and do great and i dont get parameter swings that i have ever seen. i do test weekly. i would say go 10 or 12 gal if your starting out. with just a few shrimp. once you get them breeding you can go bigger. 

• 2 months later...

20L and you will love it need to update my pictures lots have changed in a few months. I have hundreds of mischlings and 50 or so TB now.

-Chris