Let us discuss about HOB filtration.

I'm using this kind of filters on 13 tanks. In my opinion they are better than sponge filters and provide a better filtration when space is an issue. Having canister filters on 13 tanks would take the same space as the tanks themselves :D

Any of you are using? What's your experience with them?

i like sponge filters, with this said i have both a sponge and hob on my tb tank. sponge filters allow for more bacteria colonies to help break down ammo and nitrites. they also give another place for shrimp to forage and you dont have to worry about shrimp and babies being sucked into the impeller

Me too, I have both a dual sponge filter and a HOB. (Plus I use a small UV sterilizer, and Powerhead with water polisher filter. Both to use probably about once a month. Run them for about 48 hours a month)

Same here, and after a good read of both volumes of the BnK magazine, almost all of the shrimpers interviewed in both issues had both the sponge filter and hob.

And for the hob intake, i use one of my wifes hairties to secure the batting material i get from wally world.

Heres a pic

post-95-0-22347200-1395109397_thumb.jpg

Its got to be changed out quite a bit, i do mine every 2 weeks. Lest I say, I am very eager to purchase some filter guards from Han very soon. One less maintenance task is more shrimp staring time for me and im down for that :)

I use Hamburg Mattenfilters.  All the benefits of a sponge filter without having a unslightly sponge getting in the way when I try and catch my shrimp :)

The main reason I hate sponge filters is noise. I sleep with my shrimp :D

An air pump would drive me nuts as opposed to the HOBs I use which despite their numbers are whisper quiet.

The HOBs I use come with sponges in them. I took them out and replaced them with Eheim Substrat Pro. One of the sponges sit on the intake. It's the same as with sponge filters only better and quieter. You can't do any better bio filtration short of using a canister filter.

I have had mine for maybe 3 years or so but I moved about 2 years ago so they have been set up almost 2 years no with no maintenance.  I haven't really looked to see if stuff is building up back there, I will have to bust out a mirror and check (they are against a cement wall).

ive hear alot of gunk can build up behind the mattenfilter over time. how long have you been using your oblong?

Right now I have both sponge filters and I also have aquaclears. In shrimp only I prefer the sponge filters

I put my air pump in the basement and ran the airline up through the floor, it's only running 4 sponges so the extra height isn't an issue

If I set up a fish room il be doing either sponges or the HMF (need to research it more)

• 2 weeks later...