Most popular shrimp

kjudd1994

I hear ya on that one!

I have to be honest with you.  I selectively breed shrimp for a hobby, and instead of extra money- I wind up in the red.

Definitely. I have dreams of breeding and selling rabbit snails, but mostly it'll be an excuse to call for more local swap meets. I certainly won't be making money off of them! I don't even HAVE them yet and I already started buying them food and stuff.

Definitely. I have dreams of breeding and selling rabbit snails, but mostly it'll be an excuse to call for more local swap meets. I certainly won't be making money off of them! I don't even HAVE them yet and I already started buying them food and stuff.

Rabbit snails will take a very long time to breed considering they only have around 1 offspring a month. I brought in hundreds of rabbit snails for my sulawesi tanks and I can tell you that they are a handful keep happy when to get to those type of numbers. Sure you will have hundreds of baby rabbit snails a month but the amount space they need + of food they go thru and waste they produce is above and beyond what you normally would expect with a normal shrimp tank.

100+ yellow rabbit snails

IMG_20141103_201210_zpszki0jisw.jpg

Ya even so not sure how feasible it is for rabbit snails; will take a good 12-18 months to grow them out and if they are not given enuf space a lot of them will end up dying off because they get stuck against each other. Unless you have lots of algae, food is an issue as well as it is very hard for young snails to get in on the "snail ball" that forms during feeding time.. Usually there is only a small numbers of adults that hogs all the food.

In hindsight I think to comfortably keep 100+ rabbit snails long term, you want something like a 4ft tank. If you have an outdoor or indoor pond and can keep the water warm (~ 28C) you can have a rabbit snail producing machine! :)

For a normal setup with shrimps I don't recommend any more than 5-6 adults per sq. ft.