why is every one wanting mischlings?

am i missing something? when i was talking with a couple breeders that had been around for a while they said it was kinda working backwards to have them? it waters down the tb genetics. since tb are stronger now than they used to be it was better to start with tb and not mess with mischlings. thats why i jumped in with both feed and skipped the mischlings. 

tibee is a tiger crs/cbs cross it has nothing to do with mischlings that is a whole other type of shrimp i dont member the name right now though. im not in it to sell really. i just like them lol. when the numbers get a bit big for the tank i will part with some but that will be a ways down the road. i only have 8 in a 5 gal right now hehehe

It's believed that Taiwans DID come from tibees.;)  Wicca, Taiwans are still bee shrimp so mischlings are a cheaper way for folks to cross with their tigers and get more interesting tibees.  They are called Tai-tibees.

The reason folks are wanting them if I had to guess is because you can still get Taiwans out of mischlings on occasion.  So it's easier to buy shrimp that are $4-5 a piece as opposed to $20-50.  Just guessing though!  I have Taiwans and mischlings in the same tank, still tapping my fingers on them to breed though;)

I have like 6 TB's so I have thrown close to 20 female CRS in with them just to try and increase my population of TB's faster :)

Interesting...... The great things you learn on this forum

im guessing when it comes to mischlings it kinda depends on the generation and if there is a tb to breed with it to improve the possibility of getting TB. i had thought about going that rought too but then it came down to i would rather have 2 tanks in that case. i want all tb in a tank. i was doing nuts trying to figure out how i was going to sort though shrimp to get the crs/cbs out of a tb tank lol. i get that they are cheaper and i was kinda wondering if that was a main reason for it or if it was something else all together.

another question i have is if you get tb from a mischling, when you breed that said tb do you get a majority of tb or still a high number of mischlings?

I would assume a good percentage of crystals still. Until you line breed it with tibees to stabilize the line.

So here's a question. You have a tank with 13 crs CBS mix. You add 7 mischlings to it. And then add 12 tibees to it just run of the mill white grey and black tiger striped tibees. Your mischlings have the genes for black King Kong, wine red, blue bolt, golden and shadow. What would be the percentage of tibee, mischling shrimplets coming from this tank.

Doesn't matter how many shrimp are in there.  What matters in the pairing to mate.

And from that, the background of the shrimp.  At this time Homogenous shrimp are almost impossible to find in TB.

Unfortunately if shrimp were more straight forward you could do punnet squares, but since they are not and you are dealing with co-doms, co-recessives, etc. - it really is an impossible question to answer unless you study the throw the shrimp has had with that pairing previously..

Soothing, I love the fact that you do both theater and genetics in depth, and with passion. While definitely not unheard of, I will say the combo is not too common in my experience.

Lots and lots of reading.  The shameful part is that almost no one really knows anything about shrimp genetics.  Lots of guesses and theories, but no proofs.

When I first got into shrimp I had a background in mice/rats/reptiles and those genetics are pretty well mapped out.  I figured inverts would be the same way.  Boy was I wrong!

If you get the B&K mag #2, it has a really good section on shrimp genetics explained in layman language in the back section.  The bell curve is as good an explanation as any.

Whats b & k mag? Sounds likes a great read

Breeders 'n' keepers? I still need to pick up both volumes!

My whole reasoning for getting mischlings was mainly the cost to stock a tank with enough shrimp to keep it interesting. It's an ada 60p and I could only afford to get 3 tbs, and also another 25 mischlings. I never see all 3 tbs at the same time but there are mischlings everywhere. My hope is to move the tbs and female mischlings to another tank when they are ready to breed!

I got a bunch of Volume 1 and a few of volume 2 left and have more Volume 2 on their way.

I got a bunch of Volume 1 and a few of volume 2 left and have more Volume 2 on their way.

Just ordered them from you today!