Cloudiness in tank? Possible bacterial bloom?

Duff0712

Long story short. my tank water is pretty cloudy (white/milky) and this started about a week or so ago, or thats when I noticed. It's been set up for 5 months now with ADA Amazonia and RO/DI water with salty shrimp gh+. Never had cloudy water and was just curious if I'm right about it being a bacterial bloom and what I should do to solve it regardless.

I have an unknown PH (last time I checked it was so low on the API test it was either 6 or below.

My shrimp seem to be doing fine and breeding well.

Also have a hair algae bloom recently and I haven't really changed anything about the tank or its lights/time, but have just raised my lights and lowered the timer on them to hopefully battle that.

I have also been battling a protein layer at the top of the tank which I have pretty much "solved" with a protein skimmer that I have at my best attempt shrimp proofed. 

I used to feed small amounts every day/every other (which hasn't changed for 3 mo until recently I have been doing every few days because of the problems. 

Anyone have any ideas? Tried to cover everything haha

I had a bad bloom, cloudy water pop up out of nowhere. What I did was get a uv sterilizer. Depending upon the size of tank and type of filtration, you can get an inline sterilizer or an in the tank sterilizer.  I have a foam block (inside the tank) filter, so I needed a uv sterilizer placed inside the tank.  My tank is 10 gallons.  The in the tank ones are huge.  I found a 9 watt on amazon  http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I5VN2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  After running the sterilizer for 1 week, I did a water change of 10% concentrating on the removal of the bloom which was located in the middle of the tank.  Ran the sterilizer for another week - and - wa-la - bloom disappeared.

This particular sterilizer that I got was smaller than most - and you want at least 9 watts to get to the bacteria. It is really a water clarifier, but that is all you need for a bacteria bloom.  If you want to kill bugs too, you need a stronger one.

I had a bad bloom, cloudy water pop up out of nowhere. What I did was get a uv sterilizer. Depending upon the size of tank and type of filtration, you can get an inline sterilizer or an in the tank sterilizer. I have a foam block (inside the tank) filter, so I needed a uv sterilizer placed inside the tank. My tank is 10 gallons. The in the tank ones are huge. I found a 9 watt on amazon http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I5VN2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 After running the sterilizer for 1 week, I did a water change of 10% concentrating on the removal of the bloom which was located in the middle of the tank. Ran the sterilizer for another week - and - wa-la - bloom disappeared.

This particular sterilizer that I got was smaller than most - and you want at least 9 watts to get to the bacteria. It is really a water clarifier, but that is all you need for a bacteria bloom. If you want to kill bugs too, you need a stronger one.

If it doesn't go away soon I'll look into that

Protein film can be eliminated by a bubbler. Cloudy water is either bacterial or a precursor to green water. Either way, a UV pump will clear it up within a couple days.

Seems like if it doesn't go away with my lights moved I'll give the uv sterilizer a try.

What filter do you use and what about aeration?

I have a eheim internal filter and an eheim skimmer. Wasn't really thinking smart about space or filtration wen I was setting up the tank.

-Duffy

I don't think it is normal/good to have that protein layer, so I think that points to an underlying issue with your setup. Really don't know the solution, but I'd think about water changes and increased aeration and water circulation. UV sterilizer sounds good , but expensive.

With the skimmer (other than it actually being for the layer) definitely gives me better circulation in the tank. I never really had the layer before with my previous small canister but it was a pain to clean. I think it was just building up with only the internal because of poor flow and since its a 12g long the surface area of that small a tank is hard to work with w/o aeration. The pair seems to be working well together so far :) will give the light fixture moment and the filters a week or two and if no change might try some purigen? Yeah I clicked your UV sterilizer link and not sure the problem is worth $80 at the moment haha.

-Duffy

Just know that the SunSun sterilizer is VERY large to fit in your aquarium.  That is why I chose the Deep Blue brand - much smaller and worked really good.

That's what I have, but I overbought by accident.  I have the higher watt version for larger tanks.

Heard good things about sunsun uv units for bacterial blooms and greenwater
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008ADUVWQ/ref=pd_aw_sim_petsupplies_1?refRID=0PDGSYB16KBYWP503XV5

Just an update. I am actually seeing a good decrease in cloudiness in the tank after just a couple days. Prolonged time? Or full clear? Not sure yet but will keep posted :)

All I've done for now is lift my lights (ghetto like but it works), about a 20% water change, less photoperiod (Mainly for algae) but down to 7ish from 9hrs. Also I have my skimmer running 24/7 now

-Duffy