Hello from Austin TX

goosta

Hey everyone! I'm brand new to keeping shrimp. I have a 5 gallon Fluval Chi setup. Unfortunately, I am off to a rough start. Ordered 10 RCS online. The box showed up in 2 days and I excitedly opened it, only to realize 7 of the little guys were dead. I acclimated the 3 survivors and transferred them to my tank. One didn't seem to be doing so well, and sure enough, it was dead by the morning. The 2 remaining ones seemed to be doing okay for the past week, but I had only seen one of them in the last couple of days. Found the missing one dead today. So I am pretty disappointed so far. I've been checking my water parameters and they seem okay. Anyway...trying to stay positive. Going to order some friends for the lone survivor soon.

Welcome and I'm sorry to hear about such a bad first experience. :( Did you contact the seller and let them know? Most sellers worth anything have a DOA (Dead on arrival) guarantee and they should replace or refund.

You should keep an eye on that lone survivor though, if they came in with a sickness it could be something that is now in the tank. You've come to the right place though. I am still new to all of this but there are plenty hear with all levels of knowledge. We have folks that sell shrimp (and everything you could possibly need for them).

Thanks everyone! I am definitely still excited about shrimping. I work from home so I enjoy watching my little shrimp in the tank on my desk.

Welcome and I'm sorry to hear about such a bad first experience. :( Did you contact the seller and let them know? Most sellers worth anything have a DOA (Dead on arrival) guarantee and they should replace or refund.

You should keep an eye on that lone survivor though, if they came in with a sickness it could be something that is now in the tank. You've come to the right place though. I am still new to all of this but there are plenty hear with all levels of knowledge. We have folks that sell shrimp (and everything you could possibly need for them).

Yeah, I contacted the seller and received a refund for the 7 that were DOA. If they did come with a sickness, would there be any way for me to check for that? Or would I need to start the tank over?

Don't let that throw you off shrimping.  There's reputable sellers here who care about their customers.  There's also hobbyists like me that just sell to maintain their hobby.

I'm curious, what kind of insulation was there in the package?

There was some kind of fiber based insulation in the box. I noticed it seemed really loosely packed - not sure if that is normal or not. Basically, there was a lot of room around the bag, so it looked like it would have been rolling around a lot.

Welcome! We are glad to have you, sorry about your first losses.