Planted semi-blackwater tank

chibikaie

I finally have shrimp!

post-54-142521949066_thumb.jpgpost-54-142521950084_thumb.jpgpost-54-142521951185_thumb.jpg

I picked up around a dozen ghost shrimp (most likely Palaemonetes paludosus) yesterday and drip acclimated them overnight. Two did not make it, but I have a few large females (some carrying eggs, though I have a feeling they might drop them) and some that I am pretty sure are male. I'm hoping to establish a colony over the next few months.

Sadly, there have been at least four deaths already at only about 10 hours in the tank. Either the berried females all dropped their eggs or they are hiding/have succumbed where I can't find them.

Well, I guess I can always get some neocaridina when the weather is warmer and I'm less likely to lose them in a shipping fiasco.

My pH monitor arrived, and I finally had time to buy it a battery and calibrate it. So I now am relatively certain that the pH of this tank is around 7.3 - so much for an acidic blackwater environment. (To be honest, the yeast-generated carbon dioxide injection is quite minimal, the starting pH of the tap is 7.5, and normally my tank pH rises to 7.8 or 8.0, so it's a new accomplishment to lower it at all.)

I continued to have shrimp losses, so I will have to see if any of them make it long term.

• 3 weeks later...

Those are actually teeny tiny Cryptocoryne wendtii "green" - one of the easiest plants both to take care of and to find (often sold as tissue cultures). They should get about twice as big once they start growing.

I had a heart attack this morning because I only saw one shrimp this morning, and he looked kind of sluggish. I found four just now and they look good, moving around more. I guess it's not going to be easy finding them in that tank! I did not make good color choices!

They're still alive! *does a little dance*

I can't decide if I want to get a shoal of otocinclus and play it safe, or something riskier.

One of my friends suggested adding tangerine tigers. So many options!