Chris's Fish Room- Basement Remodel

ctaylor3737

Yea that's the biggest thing I was running into, was the upkeep costs and effort so I was trying to be as efficient as possible in my design

I hear ya. The fancy gadgets are awesome to have but when your suffering MTS on a budget it happens lol. But I'll make a little on future fry, shrimp and plants to make it worthwhile and just better fund my shrimping addiction hahaha.

-Chris

Yea, just certain things that you don't wanna have to do again

What do, you keep out there in buffalo? I pass through from time to time. Any stores worth checking out?

-Chris

The fish place is pretty good overall, 42 aquatics has great stock but a tad pricey.

Bristlenose plecos, Cory's, lots of live bearers, some decent amount of cichlids, and a few shrimpers but I only know of 1 with crystals

Same here, most with crystals here came from me or my buddy. Besides the c grade ones for $18 at my LFS. Probably about the same as around here. We have 3 decent stores, they all have a variety so pretty easy to find something unless,it's shrimp

-Chris

Yea shrimp and any non common plants are tough to find. Most stores will order fish in, but at this point I have contacts for just about everything lol

Might be going to visit lotsoffish from Aquabid tomorrow or friday... That's always dangerous lol

Have all the insulation up on the walls, they are nailed into place! Will be laying the rest of the plywood on the floor today! Will be picking up some drywall tomorrow! Will post some more pictures this evening.

I was going to but I think it's,sealed good. I put a dryloc, vapor barrier, then foam. Should be alright. Got a dehumidifier that runs all the time. Should stay really dry. Putting plastic behind the drywall to just in case.

-Chris

300 so far. Most expensive part was a roll of wire. Wood was free from a buddies remodel. I am doing carpet right now simply because I have enough leftovers to do it. Probably tile this fall. I'll probably have another 200 into it before it's done. Ceiling and lighting probably wait on. Probably move the tanks once I drywall that corner I pictured. They will go along the wall and under the window. So really want to finish that side first. I'll be able to do the rest when I get More funds!

-Chris

Posted Image

Here's a shot from the steps. Tomorrow should have most of it knocked out. Floor will be done and finish a few wiring details. After some electrical tests we should start hanging some drywall

-Chris

What size foam board did you go with? I'm planning on doing something similar to my downstairs room soon.

What size foam board did you go with? I'm planning on doing something similar to my downstairs room soon.

I used the 1in. There's 2inch ones but was more and they had to order it.Vapor barrier seems to help a lot.

-Chris

Def save a ton doing it,yourself. Contractor wanted thousands lol. But as with any project be safe and know what you can do. Have a contractor check your work. Make sure you know the code and pull permits if you have to. Only do electrical if you have the skills. Hate to see anyone burn Thier house down or get hurt. I been doing this for a few years so have the skills.

-Chris

Yeah, I'd definitely be doing it myself. I have some carpenter skills but I'm a plumber by trade. I just finished installing hardwood floors in my home thanks to the dog tearing a big hole in the middle of the carpet. She's lucky I still love her! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Posted Image

Posted Image

Floor is down! Even moved my 55g Down from the free pickup I found. and got the room cleaned up and organized. Shooting for drywall next weekend!

-Chris

Looks great , yea my uncle is an electrician so hel be doing all my wiring ... But I don't plan to stay in the house were in for that long so fish room will wait till the next house

Any suggestions on a single air pump? It will be ran from my closet to the tanks. Want a single pump that will run 20+ filters

-Chris

Kensfish has one, think it's an alta that a lot of ppl use and love

Yea I think I'm going to go with them. I used those fluval ones for a long time but they aren't that great for multiple tanks. Trying to simplify my racks and cut power Down. I got pictures of the strip lights to I picked up. Will take pictures of the light builds to.

Posted Image

-Chris