Mayphly's New Shrimp Rack

I went with these

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=301147401320&category=46314&pm=1&ds=0&t=1431821600132

I got them because of their efficiency. The lights have a high and low light setting. If I place the lights directly above the tank It will still put off enough light for low light plants and moss. I have the same type over a 20L and the low light works good. When working on the tanks I can just switch it to high light and run all 120 LEDs.

I'm thinking HMF filtration for these. I may do 6 HMF and 6 double sponges. Not sure yet. I usually use 1 bag of Amazonia which is good for filling 2 10g tanks. I haven't thought about the 1/2 and 1/2 but I might give it a try now that you mentioned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half/half you could do 4 10's with one bag. Ugf system is another filtration option along with sponge filters. I have two test tanks set up with ugf and sponge filter only and there preforming nicely. One is 8 months old and houses my crystal whites. I haven't had any problem using this type of set up. It's worked so well I will probably use it in my rack for filtration.

Rack looks nice and sturdy, I like the whole setup! What size did you go with? 

DET, the rack is 77 in. W x 78 in. H x 24 commercial steel. I'm going with a closed loop air system which I managed to dry fit together over the weekend.

That's fu

If it is any help, I didn't need to glue mine.  Dry fit was enough.

That's funny!! I did read that you don't need to glue them together. So, of course i blew into a section and air still comes out the end. I guess the fitting I have aren't as snug as yours. But no biggie!

I've been putting in 16 hour days at work lately and I feel like a friggin zombie. Somehow I caught a second wind yesterday and knocked out out my central air system. I just need to finish installing the lever valves. bc766487fffe9a82dd84c87312440da4.jpga3e58812d163cc87a3a9ec85bf4a1a3e.jpg

Soothing, I only used glue for the shut off valve and banged the rest together. Hooked it up tested and no leaks. Now I just need tanks,filters,substrate and of course shrimp.[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Awesome.  Yeah, for me I figured it would be good in case I decided to take it down and move it.  No glue meant it could be taken apart at another time.

Your maintenance project will always be ongoing.  You'll find you always want something better, or something that can be done a new way.  LOL

Awesome.  Yeah, for me I figured it would be good in case I decided to take it down and move it.  No glue meant it could be taken apart at another time.

Your maintenance project will always be ongoing.  You'll find you always want something better, or something that can be done a new way.  LOL

What do you find is the most challenging part of maintaing your rack set up?

Well, I would LOVE an automatic wc system!!! ;)

I would also like an auto top off system without any unsightly gadgets in the tank. Do they make one like that or do you have to have that giant float in the tank?

e5f82d8fcc84a7969a037c0028765ecf.jpg

Tapped the holes while pump is turned on so no pvc particles end up inside the airline. I used a 3/16 bit to tap for the 1/4" stainless valves. I added a bit of Teflon for reassurance of no leaks.

You can get much smaller float valves http://autotopoff.com/custom/has some nano float valves for auto top off.

Those are nice. Since I'm going to have 12+ tanks going those would cost me too much. I'm thinking about going with an auto drip system with a pump. I would just set a timer while the system tops off. Hopefully I don't flood the garage! lol!!

you can always use an old spare tank or some sort of plastic large container on the top shelf and use RO lines or airlines similar to your air system with a shutoff valve at each tank. 

drain out the bad water. open the valve at each tank, RO runs down from the holding tank and drips down into the tank. 

all gravity feed.

I use a similar more basic idea.

I drain out 5G, then fill a 5G tub i have on my top shelf that has a single airline tube that comes out the bottom with a valve on it so i can control the flow. walk away and know that i'm only replacing the amount i removed.

Eric, I thought about going with a tub on the top shelf and running a drip line and fill each tank as needed. But since my RO storage tank sits next to the rack in thinking about plumbing in this pump http://m.ebay.com/itm/281678736540?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20140127100817%2526meid%253D81e97cb192d34a49836c1500004b1a96%2526pid%253D100107%2526rk%253D2%2526rkt%253D25%2526mehot%253Dpp%2526sd%253D261569376366&_trksid=p2056116.c100107.m2460

It would be cool to hook it up to a 1/2" or 3/4" (not sure what size yet) pvc line with lever valves and maybe a drip fitting which hangs into the tank. Oh yeah, and install an on off switch for the pump. I would hook up a union so the pump can be accessible and the storage tank cleaned. This should cost no more than 40 bucks to install. I think that would be pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I set up one tank today on the new rack today with an HMF filter from Swiss Tropicals. I am sooo impressed by the flow coming out of the jet lifter tube. I barely have my air turned up and that thing is putting out some serious flow.124fc9bfda57660f53bf24cd23ed909a.jpge3e90c998dd2d5fd60fc073c1c99598f.jpg57ff494bf5eb2359ed327e9b445af537.jpgbc0bfc008bc3766f4c379ef8f981382a.jpg

Looks good my friend! Are you using silicone to keep the HMF in place?

I love using the HMF filters from Swiss Tropicals.  Great quality and reliable service.  I just set my 22g up with a corner HMF. Was a little nervous about installing the glass braces because I'm not a very good DIYer.  But all came out well and I love the lesser footprint of it.  I also placed a 8x4x4 tower block filter at the other end just to give more water movement and filtration.