High temps

What exactly can high temps do to BB/CRS other than faster growth, higher bacteria infection rate?

Talking about 80F +

Most sites I've come across suggest no more than 73F or 77F.

My current tanks due to the heat has been at 80F-82F for the past week. So far I don't see any deaths and lots of molting and very healthy and active.

What exactly can high temps do to BB/CRS other than faster growth, higher bacteria infection rate?

Talking about 80F +

Most sites I've come across suggest no more than 73F or 77F.

My current tanks due to the heat has been at 80F-82F for the past week. So far I don't see any deaths and lots of molting and very healthy and active.

Its ok here i keep them in the summer same temp 80-82f.

Just give them, more air in the water, wiht air pump or a fan.

Life span would be shortened. became weaker and would have molting issue due to un-healthy

Is there proof about this lifespan being shorter due to high temps. Almost everyone on here says that but I haven't seen anyone provide a reputable source backing it up.

I never allow the water temp goes above 78.8F

any time of the year, when heat wave hits. I start to see random death.

Summer is hot in most area of China, and without air conditioning or chiller.

No way to keep CRS during summer time.

the whole colony just die off.

• 2 months later...

Is there proof about this lifespan being shorter due to high temps. Almost everyone on here says that but I haven't seen anyone provide a reputable source backing it up.

I can't prove using shrimps because I never tried to raise more than 78F (set my heater at 75F)

But I can prove with my betta fish experience. I have breed more than hundreds of bettas. Fry grows faster with 80-82F (using heater) than less than 75F. Why? because I am increasing their metabolism= age faster. 

when around 2 months, I jar them (mostly males) and then I put nice females in one tank (with heater at 80F) and I don;t put heater at jars (too small for it). and males live longer. And there are factors which you need to count such as diseases. I found they are prone to have more disease if i keep them at 60F vs 80F which is best temp for betta (age faster though; I never have betta live up to 4 years with 80F but i have few betta live up to 3+ years with 75F. But 60F, 80% wont pass over 1 year; not their optimal temp.

So it should be true to shrimps too. they are more prone to disease if they don't have optimal temp. 

It is all about testing to see which give the best result. for betta I can afford to do it since one spawn will give me 100+ frys. so I can have good data to test it (I can test with hundred of fishes) 

Shrimps? one spawns won't give me hundreds. (crs, rcs), so, it won't give good result, without good data. 

• 9 months later...

Sorry if I'm not supposed to revive old threads, but I believe that higher than optimal temps would increase the metabolism of shrimp, thus shortening the total lifespan.  If disease hits, the disease multiplies faster as well. 

And although shrimp are generally low bioload, they will also need to be fed more often hence producing more waste, reproduce faster and mature quicker for a larger group, so I step up my water change schedule accordingly.

Good advice about supplying a lot of oxygen as this is depleated with higher temps, but I only worry about that when temperature rises to 82°f and above. 

I breed angelfish, and I know for sure at higher temps that the fry develop faster.  For angelfish,  they like higher temps than neos, and if the temperature is on the lower side,  they live longer,  but they are more susceptible to disease and illness.  So I always try to keep the temperature in the middle of the preferred range for whatever I'm keeping in each tank.

On 8/5/2015 at 10:05 PM, JamesHe said:

Summer is hot in most area of China, and without air conditioning or chiller.

No way to keep CRS during summer time.

the whole colony just die off.

Yup my low grade crs colony died off super fast this summer. by the time I noticed the die off already half were gone. What a SHAME! I've had them all winter and spring without one dead and now all are dead. But my taiwan bees are all berried and alive. why is that?

On 20/07/2016 at 6:22 PM, dazalea said:

Yup my low grade crs colony died off super fast this summer. by the time I noticed the die off already half were gone. What a SHAME! I've had them all winter and spring without one dead and now all are dead. But my taiwan bees are all berried and alive. why is that?

I would assume if the temperatures are the same in your CRS and taiwan bees, than it might be another factor besides the temp that contributed to the CRS die-off.  Maybe the high temperature plus another unknown factor?

well I'm not sure... I don't really think its anything else just because I've had them for  very long time, checked all params and this was during 1-2 weeks with a severe heat in my city. They didn't show any other signs, just drop dead. I have many tanks and yes its weird it didn't happen to my taiwan bees but perhaps they are way more hardy and tolerant then the low grade crs... 

I have a tank with regular crs and those are fine too... 

But thank you, I did consider that something else was wrong but I could not find anything. I suspect the heat is the culprit.

More babies, but lower lifespan due to higher energy demand but lack of lipids.

"Higher metabolic rates at higher temperatures are accompanied by an increase in energy demand, which is mainly supplied by lipids in aquatic organisms [46]. The lowest lipid concentration in shrimps reared at 28°C (82.4°F) may also be explained by the fact that reproduction was more pronounced at that temperature than at the other temperatures tested." (Tropea 12)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4359132/pdf/pone.0119468.pdf

Anyone have any suggestions for lowering temps besides fans? I came home to a couple dead shrimp and a temp of 85. I dropped a couple of ice cubes(tap) in the tank and put a box fan on it. I am going to do a change tomorrow, but the heat is only lessening slightly here over the next week. Any out of the box thinking appreciated.

Anyone have any suggestions for lowering temps besides fans? I came home to a couple dead shrimp and a temp of 85. I dropped a couple of ice cubes(tap) in the tank and put a box fan on it. I am going to do a change tomorrow, but the heat is only lessening slightly here over the next week. Any out of the box thinking appreciated.

Those blue refreezable ice packs, in a plastic bag, in a HOB or a marina breeder box.

How hot is the room they're in?

I find that a properly aimed fan can bring down my water temps in a small tank very effectively. With a room in the mid-to-high 80s, my tanks stay below 78. Sometimes they get too cold, so my heaters kick in. Of course, I am topping up with DI water almost daily right now.

My room gets to about 80-84 degrees during the day, with tank fans the temperature stays 72-74 degrees.