Experience with Mischlings - good or bad, lets have it.

dr0p

Been digging into them a bit more, and wanted to get others thoughts and experiences, in terms of breeding. .

I know they are a love/hate kind of thing. Great potential at times, or just a lesson in patience others.

I ventured into them fairly recently, and I must say my experience is overwhelmingly positive. While their colors are a bit washed out compared to the "pure" crystals, the genetics make up for loss. I got them not expecting much, perhaps a TB here and there way down the road. Little did I know... Checking the tank yesterday, I found an enormous amount of TB babies. I mentioned the other day having 2 or 3 Baby Shadow Pandas and perhaps a BB or 2. Turns out the number is actually 9 shadow pandas, 3 BB babies, and those are just the ones for SURE I can identify. The reds are a bit harder to tell, so I have a few more weeks of waiting impatiently :P

These numbers I thought, are absurd unless breeding 2 TB together. The father had to be my only shadow panda? I can't figure out any other way a mischling would throw so many? Either way, I have several more mischling ladies ready to pop any day now, and have my fingers crossed for the same kind of luck!

Lets hear your adventures!

I'm a fan of them, however there are a few important things that I have learned (related to each other):

1. Make sure that you remove any babies that are not TB's and put them in another tank

2. Either keep the TB's in that mischling tank, or, preferably, move them to a TB only tank- might as well get that TB only tank producing

3. Keep the number of breeding females in your mischling tank manageable.  It's fun to have lots of babies, but it is a lot of work if there are too many females

4. Keep only TB males in the tank with the females.  You want TB male x mischling female each time the female gets berried.

Like Jadenlea, I like the "lottery" aspect of it as well. My big lesson was having too many females, and leaving non-TB males in the tank.  I was completely new to it at the time, and while I did get a good number of TBs, it quickly got out of control to where the number of TBs was a diminishing returns game.  Now I keep the numbers more manageable, and it has worked out for me really well.

+1 on Chad0's advice. I keep 2 female misch in my 7g and it seems like they are always berried. I'm constantly culling the mischling out of that tank. Glad to hear they're taking off for you! [emoji106]

Checking the tank this afternoon and I am delighted to find a gaggle of new babies. They are tiny! Looking forward to watching them grow, and gain more color.

Still floored with the amount of TB they threw for the first batch. Hopefully I'll have some repeat success! I'll see if I can grab a decent shot or two of them later tonight.