From what I read led can NOT lay directly on glass?

Louie

I am looking at led fixture for my 55 gallon as opposed to the CFL fixtures which I use on the glass cover .  Not to save money but because I wanted a slimmer neater light cover but after reading the sites, I gather that led can not sit directly on top of glass because it affects the led bulbs?

if so will stick with the current set up as do not want open top.

Does anyone use led laying directly on glass cover?

Thank you

I think the idea is that the more powerful LEDs have heat that needs to escape so it won't burn out the LEDs.  In fact, behind the brighter LEDs are heat sinks and sometimes even fans.  If the front is covered (laying on glass,) the heat may build up.

I learned the hard way that I can't have an LED light above open water with no cover.  It caused all LEDs to burn out in less than 6 months.

I haven't heard about this, but on all 3 of my ten gallons, I have the led light almost right on the glass top. They have handles on each end, so they are about a half an inch right above the glass, and I haven't had any problems. I leave it on the day lights 10 hours, then on the Blue night lights 6 hours, and 8 hours off at night. But I have only had them this way for about 4 months.

Thank you both. I was looking at the clip on led lights the powerful ones but they do not hang on to regular tank rims and I am not removing the plastic tank rim.

The one's I looked at said that they could not be placed directly on glass .

The site I was looking at was that place that you "design " your own led (lol forgot the sites name) , either way they had them all on open top tanks and did not recommend glass (I emailed them).

I still might get one and just prop it up with small wooden 'legs' as Chris has done .