Multiple Auto Top Off System?

Okay, so here's a simple design for a top off system.  It uses a float in the bucket as a safety to turn off the pump if there is no water left, and a redundant float to turn off pump if one float is stuck in the tank and the water has hit the level wanted.  The led is to know if there is no more water in the bucket.

Here's my challenge... I'd like to use 1 pump per rack of tanks located on three shelves.  Is it possible to do an auto fill system on ALL of them from one pump?

I'd assume some kind of manifold would be necessary too.top_off_diagram.jpg

Never built one of these, but it seams you would need a selinoid to open and close a velvet for each tank or else when one tank requests water they would all get some. Also what about check valves so if the fill hose becomes submerged once the pump shots off there is the possibility of it draining the tank.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

hmmm...didn't think of the check valves. Any idea on the type of selinoid?

Don't realy have any idea, but since the selinoid's that are used in CO2 are air tight it seams they would be water tight as well. Just a thought. Also poke around grainger and McMaster s Web site.

So I found this on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keurig-12V-Pneumatic-Solenoid-Valve-4-PSI-SH-V0829-Normally-Closed-3-16-/281330259217?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item4180971511, here's a little cheaper but would need a reducer http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-DC-12V-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-N-C-Water-Inlet-Flow-Switch-Normally-Closed-/251505677768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3a8ee815c8

Would I hook up the level switch to that so that each tank would have a level switch and solenoid like that?  I wonder if it means the water pump would run continuously. hmmmm

I think I would need a gang valve too to split the water from the pump.  Something like this...http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-MANIFOLD-16-OUTLET-AIR-SPLITTER-FOR-HYDROPONICS-AIR-PUMPS-/360404948752?pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Feeding_Bottle_Warmers_Coolers_LE&hash=item53e9cf1710

I don't want to give up on finding what I need to make this work...

This is interesting. I have thought about a drip system. I will be doing central plumbing for a few of the tanks, but don't think I could put a device like this together. Just simply don't have the experience with electronics like that.

-Chris

So I found this on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keurig-12V-Pneumatic-Solenoid-Valve-4-PSI-SH-V0829-Normally-Closed-3-16-/281330259217?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item4180971511, here's a little cheaper but would need a reducer http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-DC-12V-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-N-C-Water-Inlet-Flow-Switch-Normally-Closed-/251505677768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3a8ee815c8

Would I hook up the level switch to that so that each tank would have a level switch and solenoid like that? I wonder if it means the water pump would run continuously. hmmmm

I think I would need a gang valve too to split the water from the pump. Something like this...http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-MANIFOLD-16-OUTLET-AIR-SPLITTER-FOR-HYDROPONICS-AIR-PUMPS-/360404948752?pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Feeding_Bottle_Warmers_Coolers_LE&hash=item53e9cf1710

I don't want to give up on finding what I need to make this work...

Looks like your on the right track I would lean towards the second selinoid, and I deffinatly you will need a splitter right off the pump. As far as it running all the time in not sure suppose you could set up a relay that when the tank calls for water it then opens the selinoid which would then trip a second relay to activate the pump.

Looks like your on the right track I would lean towards the second selinoid, and I deffinatly you will need a splitter right off the pump. As far as it running all the time in not sure suppose you could set up a relay that when the tank calls for water it then opens the selinoid which would then trip a second relay to activate the pump.

So to do that you would need to get a normally open relay that when is has an input signal (easiest would be to run it parrell with the sensor sending the signal to your individual solinoids) it closes the loop telling the main pump to turn on.

Only problem I see having is the full water pressure of the pump would be only coming out of that signal outlet.

I think sizing the pump would be the hardest part, you don't want too much pressure that it makes a water cannon when only one tank needs water, but enough that if acouple tanks need water it can keep up. A solution to this would be to also install valve limiting the amount of water being released at each tank. Or size the pump in the middle and know it will be strong sometimes, and take longer other times.

A water pressure regulator and check valve could also work in this instance.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Not a problem. I work for a small defense contractor that makes simulation systems that trains military personnel, part of my job is making wiring diagrams for documentation so this is actually a easy wiring diagram, just probably won't be as pretty as I usually make them.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ok, so I am not an expert in this area so please let every one else chime in, but this is my quick over lunch drawing.

So the float sensor is only there to tell the relay to close the other loop. One side of the relay has your power, the other side goes to the solenoid and the pump.

The solenoids and pump all have the same common natural/ground. When one relay is tripped by the float sensor, it turns on only that solenoid and the main water pump.

All Solenoids are normally closed, and all relays are normally open with an input signal.

Edit: I already notice 1 slight mistake, but gives you the general idea. I don't think its a mistake you'll notice once you start planning it more and get a better understanding of the system.

Multiple Tank Top Offs.pdf

Are you looking to automate your water changes or actually just topoff your tanks?