Drip acclimation and water changes

Water7

So I have my first shrimp en route. They are cherries. I have been reading on acclimation but have never drip acclimated anything before. I have some airline and have practiced the procedure. However, could someone give me a guideline as to how you drip acclimate? For example: Drip X drips per second for X hours. Or, drip until the water volume is X times that of the original shipping water. I know it probably isn't an exact science, but I want to do it the best I can.

My other question regards adding new water to the tank after a water change. I have read that some drip it in to reduce stress on the shrimp. I did a practice run recently, and found out that it takes extraordinarily long. If I had tried to drip the whole two gallons in it would have taken hours, I don't know how many. I have plants, and cannot leave the lights off for hours while dripping a large volume of water in. I could try a faster drip, or slowly siphoning it in through the airline, which would still be better than dipping it all in quickly with a container like I normally do. I would appreciate some pointers. Thank you!

Depends on tank size as well as amount of water changed.

You are only required to drip acclimate if your new water parameters and tank parameters are very very different.

In most cases, all parameters except pH and TDS should be same.

Like Soothing said, siphon new water using airline.

I do that as well and no longer have deaths few days after water change.

Yes the slower the drip in period the better within reason of course.

Also remember the critters have been in darkness in the packaging for several days in some cases, so again slowly acclimatize them to the brighter light and avoid the temptation of quickly gawking at your new babies in bright light   :)

This is my opinion and what works best for me.

Drip acclimation I usually do 1-2 drops per second, for give or take two hours.

Water changes ultimately depend on the volume of your aquarium. For instance I hear so many people drip in their water changes, but I don't have the time to do that or wait to ensure everything goes properly. I have 17.1g aquariums, I usually do a 10%-15% water change at max. I rinse my hands, wipe with my shrimp towel, and then pour fresh RODI water over one of my hands into the aquarium. With my canister filter the water added is usually diluted and dispersed quickly. I do ensure the temperature of the water is the same or very close.

This is my opinion and what works best for me.

Drip acclimation I usually do 1-2 drops per second, for give or take two hours.

Water changes ultimately depend on the volume of your aquarium. For instance I hear so many people drip in their water changes, but I don't have the time to do that or wait to ensure everything goes properly. I have 17.1g aquariums, I usually do a 10%-15% water change at max. I rinse my hands, wipe with my shrimp towel, and then pour fresh RODI water over one of my hands into the aquarium. With my canister filter the water added is usually diluted and dispersed quickly. I do ensure the temperature of the water is the same or very close.

I do the same.  Shrimp Daddy has stated that slow drip isn't necessary if the new water is about the same as the tank.

Thank you again, all. Drip acclimation is complete, and it seems to have gone well! The tank is dim right now, but from what I can see they are exploring and already enjoying the sponge filter. So hopefully I did all right--I acclimated for about 2 hours, 45 minutes. One thing is that even though I turned off my tank heater this morning, and the room was a comfortable temperature, the water in the shrimp bowl was cooler to the touch than that in the tank. (I was running the drip directly out of the tank, by the way.) Hopefully that won't have been a problem. Is there something I should have done differently?

Thank you again, all. Drip acclimation is complete, and it seems to have gone well! The tank is dim right now, but from what I can see they are exploring and already enjoying the sponge filter. So hopefully I did all right--I acclimated for about 2 hours, 45 minutes. One thing is that even though I turned off my tank heater this morning, and the room was a comfortable temperature, the water in the shrimp bowl was cooler to the touch than that in the tank. (I was running the drip directly out of the tank, by the way.) Hopefully that won't have been a problem. Is there something I should have done differently?

If the shrimp didn't die I would say you did it right. Marina breeder box is a great investment.

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Hang-On-Breeding-Box-Large/dp/B005QRDCP2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1447892619&sr=1-1&keywords=marina+breeder+box