Free food

Pokeshrimp

Two showed some interest and were eating it for a few minutes. But the others didn't care, maybe its because i just feed them the day before and there is only about 15 in this tank. Or maybe they just don't like folgers French roast lol. Once my blue pearls and TT clear their feeding dish I'll try it with them, they swarm to new food like i haven't been feeling them in weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed pumpkin on the list. For those that feed it, how do you do it? I have 4 tiny pumpkins I grew this year and would love to feed them now that I'm not using them for decoration. Do you peel them? Cook it? Just throw a slice in?

I peeled a pumpkin, cut it to small pieces and boiled for a couple of minutes. Let it cool and dry, then placed the pieces on a sheet (plate) and freezed them. After I just put the pieces in a zip bag and keep the bag in a freezer. When I want to give it to my shrimp/fish I just taw a piece, divide it on small pieces and put it to a tank.

I peeled a pumpkin, cut it to small pieces and boiled for a couple of minutes. Let it cool and dry, then placed the pieces on a sheet (plate) and freezed them. After I just put the pieces in a zip bag and keep the bag in a freezer. When I want to give it to my shrimp/fish I just taw a piece, divide it on small pieces and put it to a tank.

Thank you. I'm going to try that this weekend.

I'm wondering about what I see being fed in this thread.  I have not seen anything about what nutrients or shrimp specific nutritional needs are being addressed with these foods.  Coffee grounds for instance.  So they eat them.  Obviously they don't eat coffee grounds in nature - but they may eat decaying seeds that are similar.  But what does the coffee ground provide to the shrimp that they need.  What does it provide that they don't get in other ways??  I see some fruits being fed - but most fruits are primarily carbohydrates.  Shrimp don't really need much in the way of carbs...so other than watching them gorge themselves on what amounts to candy for shrimp, is there a reason they are being fed.  

Leaves are excellent foods in general because of their nutritional profile. Morniga, Kale, and Spinach all have well documented nutritional profiles AND those nutritional profiles match what shrimp need very well.  White Mulberry leaves have spotty nutritional profiles available, and lots of anecdotal claims about their dietary benefits.  White mulberry is also native to the same local as shrimp are native, so it stands to reason that a fair number of White mulberry leaves get blown into or dropped into the water ways inhabited by dwarf shrimp.  Bamboo is also native to some of the areas shrimp are native to.  I have no data on bamboo leave nutrition but they must be nutritious and have some fairly rare characteristics because Pandas feed almost exclusively on bamboo and can't survive without bamboo.  My shrimp don't eat bamboo leaves very fast, but they do graze on them as they slooooooly decompose.  

The question "what will they eat" is not really important.  The question that's important is what do they need to eat.   It may be amusing to watch a group of people eat a diet of donuts and ice cream - but they end result won't be very pretty.  Likewise with shrimp - except they are scavengers and will eat most anything.  

That said -- I have no objections to feeding coffee grounds, apples, figs or whatever - but I question the WHY of choosing those specific foods.   If coffee grounds provide some nutrient that's beneficial I want to know about it and add it to my arsenal of foods which currently includes:  Home made powders of Kale, Spinach, Stinging nettle, Papaya leaf, spirulina, Moringa leaf, white Mulberry leaf, Pollen, astaxanthin, anise, dried green wallnut leaves, and dried green pecan leaves.  (I might have forgotten a couple)

Yea after feeding them random things I've come to find that they'll pretty much eat/graze on anything. I've been looking up plant based proteins to see if it'll help with growth. And I've been meaning to look up what they need nutritionally so i can look for foods that have what they need. I'm still new to shrimp so I'm still figuring it all out.

So if I go out in my pasture and grab a few dried stinging nettle leaves would it be a benificial food for shrimp directly off the plant including the dried stems? HMMMM

Found this article on tropical.pl. they do plug their own products here and there but its a good read. Not sure how accurate the information is since there are no references though.

The division into dwarf, long-arm and filter feeding shrimps reflects their nutritional preferences and the way of feeding. Foods for dwarf shrimps and long-arm shrimps must sink and cannot disintegrate in water, just like Tropical products: Caridina Nano Sticks, Crusta Sticks and Shrimp Sticks. It is important that food does not disintegrate, especially when feeding small species, which need more time than fish to get to the food and consume it. Such foods maintain their structure for a long time, do not fall off and do not contaminate the bottom of the tank and only minimally release nutrients into the water.

Popular freshwater shrimps can be described as omnivorous without any specific nutritional profile. Such thesis might be of course too general in case of many species. Macrobrachium shrimps are skilful hunters and scavengers, whose diet should contain a considerable amounts of animal material. The diet of dwarf shrimps, on the other hand, should be based on plant material, including algae. Generally, to ensure good condition in shrimps their food must be diversified and adjusted to their way of feeding. This particularly refers to filter feeding shrimps. Their characteristic „fan” is a perfect organ for catching small particles of food and though they can accept sticks when given no choice, one should provide tiny foods such as foods for fry which form a suspension.

Despite shrimp’s flexibility referring to food, there are certain compounds needed for their proper functioning. Apart from proper content of protein, fat and carbohydrates food for crustaceans must contain necessary vitamins, minerals and other ingredients, which influence important bodily functions. These are natural carotenoids, which are the source of provitamin A and provide coloration, protect the cells and many chemical compounds against negative effect of free radicals, accelerate growth and encourage reproduction. Moreover, from carotenoids in the shrimps’ bodies retinoids (retinoic acids) are formed – Vitamin A derivatives. These compounds activate many hormones responsible for embryonic development, cell differentiation and regeneration of lost legs. Carotenoids play an interesting role in crustaceans’ sexual maturation. It has been noted that during ovaria maturation a visible accumulation of the carotenoids take place. It can be due to three aspects:

the protection of reproductive organs against harmful radiation,metabolic function in ovaries and ovum (antioxidants, provitamin A),pigmentation of the outer layer of ova

Research undeniably prove the essential role of carotenoids before and during ovary maturation, hence the lack of carotenoids in the diet may result in inhibiting this process. One must remember that crustaceans, similarly to other animals, cannot syntehtize carotenoids on their own and must be provided with carotenoids in their food.

The breeders of shrimps intended for consumption use various additives which are to improve animals’ resistance to diseases and stress. Apart from the most radical means such as antibiotics, they use commonly recognized properties of carotenoids, spirulina, kelp algae, Vitamins E and C, as well as natural immune stimulators. The last group includes beta-glucan which has been used in Tropical foods for ornamental fish for a long time. Knowing the properties of this substance and its influence on crustaceans, we have decided to use it in shrimp foods, too. The positive effect of vitamin C on crustaceans has also been well explored. There are many reports saying that the presence of Vitamin C and beta glucan in the diet improves crustaceans’ resistance to bacteria, viruses and accelerates animals’ growth. Shrimps whose diet was rich in vitamin C and carotenoids dealt with stress better than the control group.

How to feed freshwater shrimps with sea almond leaves and can you feed them to filter feeding shrimps?

Feeding your shrimps with Ketepang (sea almond leaves) is not difficult at all. You should simply place them in the tank… and that’s it. You can press them with some heavy objects because they tend to float at the beginning, but it’s not necessary. They will eventually sink after 2-3 days. In case of filter feeding shrimps it’s a good idea to serve them crumbled leaves, that have been placed beforehand in the water for some time.Tropical Ketapang will prove perfectly suitable in this case. Crumbled leaves are closed in sachets. After leaving it in a tank for a week or two you can open the sachet and place some of its content in the tank.

How to intensify the coloration of „crystal red” dwarf shrimps?

The market offers various feeds and water agents which can enhance crustaceans’ coloration. The most commonly used feed supplements for fish and aquatic invertebrates would be: yeasts Phaffia rhodozyma, microalgae Hematococcus pluvialis, Dunaliella salinaand Spirulina platensis, flower petals of Adonis aestivalisand Tagetes erecta, red chilli pepper Capsicum annuumand pods of Leucanea leucocephala. They all contain large amounts of carotenoids, including astaxanthin. Many species of aquatic animals, including crustaceans, are also the rich source of astaxanthin. Ensuring foods with the above mentioned ingredients on regular basis, you can intensify shrimps’ coloration. You can also add them to the food you prepare on your own, however their share must not exceed 3% (it is usually recommended to add 1-3%). There are also certain foods for crustaceans that contain considerable amounts of natural carotenoids such as Crusta Sticks,Caridina Nano Sticks, Shrimp Sticks. Besides it’s worth remembering that shrimps’ coloration is determined by a number of environmental factors, shrimps’ physiological condition and their general health. Shrimps are sensitive to a number of chemical compounds present in tap water and to most medicines intended for fish and their residues. Most of them are irritant to shrimps’ respiratory and immune systems and indirectly affect other bodily functions. This may result in shrimps’ poor coloration and paling.

Research undeniably prove the essential role of carotenoids before and during ovary maturation, hence the lack of carotenoids in the diet may result in inhibiting this process. 

So just dump a bunch of carrots in me tank and let the party get started?

The question "what will they eat" is not really important.  The question that's important is what do they need to eat.   It may be amusing to watch a group of people eat a diet of donuts and ice cream - but they end result won't be very pretty.  Likewise with shrimp - except they are scavengers and will eat most anything.  

That said -- I have no objections to feeding coffee grounds, apples, figs or whatever - but I question the WHY of choosing those specific foods.   If coffee grounds provide some nutrient that's beneficial I want to know about it and add it to my arsenal of foods which currently includes:  Home made powders of Kale, Spinach, Stinging nettle, Papaya leaf, spirulina, Moringa leaf, white Mulberry leaf, Pollen, astaxanthin, anise, dried green wallnut leaves, and dried green pecan leaves.  (I might have forgotten a couple)

I think it is, if nothing else, nice to feed different foods to have a varied diet. You can search nutrient data for nearly everything now (even mulberry leaf). 

When people ask 'what can I feed my shrimp?' I always wonder, 'what can't/shouldn't you feed them?'

And I should mention that organic foods do (in theory) have less contamination risk.

Wish I could have outdoor bananas but we're in a zone 3b :( Only one oak tree in my area and it dropped its leaves a few weeks before I knew we could give them to shrimp! Coffee grounds shouldn't contain much if any caffeine so long as its been brewed as caffeine is water soluble.

Had no idea you could give them cinnamon sticks, always just composted them after simmering, especially useful during the holiday season!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

If you ever want the headache of a banana tree , The Musa mini super dwarf banana tree puts out real bananas and only gets to 3 feet max . Does great under flourescent light .

A neighbor has dwarf banana and dwarf pineapple , very sweet but small fruit .