Need Help Red Cherry!!!

gcorona301

New to this website hoping i can get some answers. I want to start a breeding tank of red painted cherry shrimp. But after some research i noticed people using mineral powder and stuff like that to put under the substrate . I want to know if that is really necessary to do or if i can just do it without. Im kind of in a budget i already have the tank, substrate, lighting, and plants. PLEASE help! 

Red cherry is good start for beginners. And it does not require much like Crystal Shrimp. Depend on the parameter of the water you are using, many people can breed them with tap water in the US, but in some area it might have different parameter. You should check on the PH/GH/KH/TDS of the water to make sure. Mineral powder is added to achieve the right condition for the shrimps. You know more when keeping high intermediate shrimps like Crystal/Taiwan Bee.

When the shrimps breed, part of these shrimps in the next generations will lose color. Then you start to cull them out and only keep the most red color ones in, that's selective breeding for strong color.

There's also food that claim to improve the red color for cherry shrimp like BorneoWild Red Ruby.

Red cherry is good start for beginners. And it does not require much like Crystal Shrimp. Depend on the parameter of the water you are using, many people can breed them with tap water in the US, but in some area it might have different parameter. You should check on the PH/GH/KH/TDS of the water to make sure. Mineral powder is added to achieve the right condition for the shrimps. You know more when keeping high intermediate shrimps like Crystal/Taiwan Bee.

When the shrimps breed, part of these shrimps in the next generations will lose color. Then you start to cull them out and only keep the most red color ones in, that's selective breeding for strong color.

There's also food that claim to improve the red color for cherry shrimp like BorneoWild Red Ruby.

Thank you makes more sense now. Have you used BorneoWild Red Ruby??? Does it actually work? And whats a good Ph to keep these shrimp at? Or does it not matter? 

Thank you makes more sense now. Have you used BorneoWild Red Ruby??? Does it actually work? And whats a good Ph to keep these shrimp at? Or does it not matter? 

I've used it and they seem to love it. I currently some in a 6.5 ph environment. What's great about RCS is they are pretty resilient to most conditions.

Nope, you do not need all the fancy powders. In the long term they may help, but many people do not use them. RCS can live in a wide range of parameters, like someone said above, normal tap water should be good for them as long as your tap water is not full of crazy crud.

Do you have experience with keeping tanks, in general?
a particular pH is not critical for neos (RCS) but keeping it stable - as well as the other parameters-  is important.

You may find your shrimp do not thrive with tap water (mine are fine with it), so I do suggest being prepared to switch to RO. In which case, you would use a shrimp-specific remineralizer, which is different from substrate powders.

Yes, it works. Cherry shrimps can live in a wide range of PH from 6-8. They just need time to adjust to the tank condition and the important thing that matters is to keep the water parameters stable for them. I have kept cherry in PH 6.5 and 7.5. And in both conditions they live and breed normal

Do you have experience with keeping tanks, in general?

a particular pH is not critical for neos (RCS) but keeping it stable - as well as the other parameters-  is important.

You may find your shrimp do not thrive with tap water (mine are fine with it), so I do suggest being prepared to switch to RO. In which case, you would use a shrimp-specific remineralizer, which is different from substrate powders.

Yeah I know the basic's of keeping a tank. and okay thanks, say i want to lower the Ph what can i use to naturally for it too lower and if i want the Ph higher what can i use? Thanks for the reply! :)

Yes, it works. Cherry shrimps can live in a wide range of PH from 6-8. They just need time to adjust to the tank condition and the important thing that matters is to keep the water parameters stable for them. I have kept cherry in PH 6.5 and 7.5. And in both conditions they live and breed normal

Thanks for the reply! I also read about using Astaxanthin Powder (its the one that looks like red powder) have you used that b4?

Thanks for the reply! I also read about using Astaxanthin Powder (its the one that looks like red powder) have you used that b4?

Never used it before! BorneoWild Red Ruby's Ingredients also include Astaxanthin.