African Violets

wicca32

I have a couple now and have always like them. Bryce said he would love to see my white leaf one "but in a different thread" here so here it is lol. 

Yes it is a white leave variety. and it did have more white to them but its been pretty cloudy lately. for some reason this type needs alot of sun light to keep the white leaves. the new ones are comming out more white (kinda yellowy white right now till older) but not sure if they will stay that way or not. 

i also have one i guess you would call variegated. in the older leaves they even get a purple tint to the light area on the leaves.

the odd thing about these 2 are they need a ton of light to keep the light color on the leaf. with out alot of bright sun (west facing window) they go all green. 

here is my white leaf (not so white right now though lol.) had more solid white leaves when i first got it from the green house

1604779_756537394398450_8226891519175084

10395855_756537541065102_287381713119294

here is my variegated looks kinda like camo i think lol

10363117_756537441065112_279934011051882

10380994_756537484398441_639758152276697

Looks variegated.  Very very cool. 

Some variegates will have all white leaf "babies."  Problem is (so I read) if you don't leave them attached to some green leaves, they can't produce chlorophyll and die.  I'm thinking there has to be some way to give them plant food though, to create entire white plants that are healthy.

i noticed with these its a light thing. if they dont get enough light they turn back green. stems even on white leaves are green. this one though i think i need to break alot of the leaves off. there are alot of tiny leaves growing all over the place with it and not sure why.

Cool variegated leaves! I have boring African violets... Normal leaves, mostly the royal purple flower kind, and one of the lighter, periwinkle varieties that hasn't bloomed in a while. All my royals are clones from one or two original plants, because I hate throwing away broken leaves. :)

My variegated pothos and philodendrons definitely need light to stay light colored, otherwise I get a lot more green leaves... Must be the same principles at work!

How do you start african violets?  from cuttings? 

My father always liked them, but I never paid much interest as a kid.  He used to rub oil into each leaf to make them shine.

Now that he's gone, and I'd like to know some info- he's not around to share it....so....I'd appreciate info. :)

Yup, cuttings. You can just take a leaf, or sometimes even just a piece of a leaf, and bury it partway in some soil. Keep it moist but not soaked, and it'll eventually grow roots, and then a few more tiny leaves will sprout up around the base. Takes a while, but fun and easy.

Incidentally, I think they (and a lot of other plants) come with warnings now, that you're not supposed to propagate them, violation of whatever the plant copyright equivalent is. I don't trade or sell, so I feel free to ignore that part.

ETA I've never heard of rubbing oil on their leaves. They're so fuzzy, I wouldn't think the plants would like that much, but maybe a special kind of leaf conditioner I'm not familiar with? There are some pretty hardcore African violet folks out there, and I don't know their tricks. I feel pretty good I have the African violet labeled fertilizer, rather than the generic miracle grow. :)

It's written on the labels or little info sticks on many plants, not just African violets. Shrubs and some garden plants, too. And yes, probably only the "latest and greatest" ones. It's to protect the developer's investment in the variety, so that they can continue to sell it and every nursery or consumer out there doesn't just take some cuttings and start growing it themselves and selling it.

It'd be pretty hard to prosecute, I'd bet, and would only really matter for people trying to do large scale sales of them. You're not a threat unless you're trying to compete in the big leagues. All the same, I feel a (very small)twinge of guilt when I look at all the plants I've made from cuttings off of a single violet or other houseplant sometimes!

easy way to start them is snip off a leaf stick the stem in water and let it get roots. then pot the leaf after there are roots and you have a new plant. i have started 6 of these so far. i like the fact these are the mini type they stay small

i use shot glasses and add water every other day or so. if the glass starts looking nasty i will pull the leave and stick the end in a damp paper towel and clean the glass then put cool tap water in and back in goes the leaf. new leaves will even sprout under the water. i will start one and take pics along the way if you want. i have even used tank water from time to time when i fill the glass. when i do water changes i tend to use the old tank water for the house plants from time to time and it works great

• 2 weeks later...