Scutariella :-(

I've had this problem once and it was on new arrival shrimp so It was only a few. I salt dipped numerous times, each time thought it was gone, it wasn't. I didn't want it in my shrimproom to avoid any contamination to other tanks so they were culled. Plus I could not use them, I don't think its a good idea to breed them either with this disease, it was pointless for me.

I did read salt dip was effective but I'm not sure it 100% is or that if a shrimp doesn't show a visable (to the naked eye) worm maybe there are other tiny worms you cannot see even with a magnifying glass. I think any sign of this disease is just not a good one. I also think it doesn't just go away so easily with a salt dip or meds. 

If I was you I would salt dip and try to stop this problem. You dont want a tank of baby shrimp around adults with this problem. 

Same here... :)

Bought some topaz blue and have those worms.

I leave it for now and after the shrimps raise i ll see what i can do.

As i read those worm its only on the exoskeleton it not hurt the shrimps.

For now i remove the molts.

DSC_8270_zpsfqe6felv.jpg

I've had this problem once and it was on new arrival shrimp so It was only a few. I salt dipped numerous times, each time thought it was gone, it wasn't. I didn't want it in my shrimproom to avoid any contamination to other tanks so they were culled. Plus I could not use them, I don't think its a good idea to breed them either with this disease, it was pointless for me.

I did read salt dip was effective but I'm not sure it 100% is or that if a shrimp doesn't show a visable (to the naked eye) worm maybe there are other tiny worms you cannot see even with a magnifying glass. I think any sign of this disease is just not a good one. I also think it doesn't just go away so easily with a salt dip or meds. 

I understand that line of thinking.  However IMO there is nothing wrong with the shrimp body other than attached worms on the shell that can be removed.

If I was you I would salt dip and try to stop this problem. You dont want a tank of baby shrimp around adults with this problem. 

Can you tell me if salt drip is 100% safe?

I cant find again those shrimps here,,, it cost me a lot.. :)

I understand that line of thinking.  However IMO there is nothing wrong with the shrimp body other than attached worms on the shell that can be removed.

As soothing wrote, its not  hurt the shrimps...

I prefer to grow some  with those worms, than loose them when trying to remove the worm.

Yes, salt dips have been proven safe with neos.  They can surprisingly take salty water for short amounts of time without problems.

I read it but did you try it?

What the saltinity is safe for them?

I did a salt dip on two of my new shrimp when I got them. I used a tablespoon of salt in a cup of water. I let the salt completely dissolve then pulled the two out and put them in the salt water. They jumped around a bit and then just held on to the net after about ten seconds. I pulled them out after 30 seconds and put them into clean tank water in a separate container. I let them sit there for a while. After inspection the white worm on their heads were gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A teaspoon of salt to how much water?

When I did it I used a tablespoon of salt for one cup of water. I used a glass Pyrex measuring cup. The shrimp are fine to this very day and that was months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried salt dip with no success, so that is why I eventually culled them. I have many valuable shrimp and having them around made me worry...I also have a friend who kept having the same problem where he would salt dip or treat and it kept coming back. Its hard to remove every moult in time before the shrimp get around it... so that was my personal reason and experience.

I do understand if you spent alot of money on it- I personally would approach the seller. I don't think anyone should be selling sick shrimp. Its not fair for the buyer to have to deal with this!

I hate to bash importers but this is where the problem is coming from. There needs to be more hobby breeders out there. Imported shrimp need proper quarantine from the importer before they resell. Too many of the importers turn the shrimp around and sell it the next day, or pick out the sick ones. problem is the healthy ones have already been exposed too and they get it too.

Caridinas don't have this same problem as the NEOs because the neos are bred in different conditions outdoors then the caridinas.

Sorry for going on but its hard to see alot of new hobbyists who are really upset about their shrimp or colony being sick or dying and Importers need to take responsibility for the shrimp they are reselling to us. 

And on a side note- I have had good experiences with responsible importers who sold me healthy shrimp. Its not all importers. but the problem is coming from those importers who are selling sick or exposed shrimp. So the solution is to keep importers accountable. So if you get sick shrimp, leave suitable feedback, let them know, get a refund etc.

dazalea that was a great post. I think you politely expressed frustrations that many of us have dealt with. I only had to deal with this once. The salt dip mostly worked for me but I also added the Prazipro that soothing shrimp referenced in the original step. I took the extra step since I already had molts and babies in the tank. It worked well and I haven't had an issue since.

When I first noticed them on my new shrimp I wasn't happy. I had many of the thoughts dazalea just expressed. Since there was nothing I could do I just decided to be positive. I looked at it as an opportunity to make myself a better shrimp keeper. In the end it built my confidence and I learned how easy it is to correct.

I have never directly imported shrimp from overseas so I can't say if it's easy to overlook a problem shrimp or not. Who knows what happened. Maybe the importer made a simple mistake. Bad reputations are a killer to any business. My advice to people is to give the importer a chance to correct the mistake. If they don't then please share so the rest of us know who to avoid.

When importers get their shipment, I'm sure all of them take a very slow and carefully look at all shrimps. Because of the amount imported, it is very easy for you to miss something. 

I'm an importer and my exporter has offered to quarantine all neos for me for 2 weeks before shipment and once I receive it, I will quarantine for another few weeks.

It's impossible to check and examine every shrimp but when something does come up, I'll do my best to fix the issue for the buyer and as well as in my tanks.

I'm sure many to most importers do this as well. Importers should be accountable for all issues.

As far as importing cards, I believe there are little to no issues with them since they are tank raised and cared for.

If a issue occurs such as diseases,parasites, or illnesses and the seller offers a replacement for your order, it would be in your best interest to request a refund as there's no way they can treat their whole tank that quick. They would just be selecting unaffected shrimp from a tank that has issues.

The salt dip is the same salinity that you would keep a saltwater tank. When I did my dip I tested the water on a refractometer and the salinity was 1.019. The salt wasn't completly dissolved at the time so I would assume it's roughly 1.021. I figured I would eventually forget the ratio so this made it easier for me to remember. Hopefully this helps others as well.