WTB Thai micro crabs

BlueMantis

3 hours ago, BlueMantis said:

I would actually like to clarify that the actual heat pack itself was wrapped in newspaper, but it was still in contact with the bag of live animals so i don't know if that would still cause as much damage?

Heat pack siting on your shipping bag most likely killed/cooked your shrimp.

Heat packs are a very risky thing to use when it comes to shipping. You need to make sure there is a large space between the pack and shrimp. The pack needs to be taped to the underside of the Styrofoam top. Another problem with using heat is the box may be sitting in a warm environment for hours and the heat pack is cooking whatever is inside. Its better to have shrimp/fish/reptiles and amphibians on the colder end than of their tolerance than the warmer end. Cooling will slow down the metabolism of whatever your shipping but heating up will increase more oxygen needed, more CO2 being produced and waste like ammonia. Warmer conditions will also cause things like ammonia and CO2 to be become more toxic. Newspaper is a poor material to use as insulation.  As long as the animal doesnt freeze they will be fine but even the slightest amount of heat towards an animals maximum tolerance is far more dangerous. Heat and ammonia is your #1 enemy when it comes to shipping fish and shrimps. Heat deprives oxygen and increases ammonia prouction and ammonia burns and damages gills resulting in death.

yes, i couldn't put it better.  I plan on waiting until after Easter for a response and then I think I will push for a dispute or claim through paypal if I don't get at least store credit.  Thanks for all of the responses once again.

24 minutes ago, BlueMantis said:

yes, i couldn't put it better.  I plan on waiting until after Easter for a response and then I think I will push for a dispute or claim through paypal if I don't get at least store credit.  Thanks for all of the responses once again.

i hope you have good luck. I was thinking about geting at time one super tigers from them but will see how they handle your claim.

13 hours ago, Vpier said:

Its better to have shrimp/fish/reptiles and amphibians on the colder end than of their tolerance than the warmer end. Cooling will slow down the metabolism of whatever your shipping but heating up will increase more oxygen needed, more CO2 being produced and waste like ammonia. Warmer conditions will also cause things like ammonia and CO2 to be become more toxic.

Could you get any references that state this?

I understand the metabolism and dissolved oxygen levels, but haven't heard of warmer temps causing more co2  and ammonia production (I guess ammonia sort of makes sense since metabolism is increased, but only would produce the amount in their digestive system, just faster than at cooler temps). And I haven't heard co2 and ammonia becoming more toxic at warmer temps.

I just like to get a better scientific understanding on how things actually work/take place or effect organisms.

13 hours ago, ShrimpP said:

Could you get any references that state this?

I understand the metabolism and dissolved oxygen levels, but haven't heard of warmer temps causing more co2  and ammonia production (I guess ammonia sort of makes sense since metabolism is increased, but only would produce the amount in their digestive system, just faster than at cooler temps). And I haven't heard co2 and ammonia becoming more toxic at warmer temps.

I just like to get a better scientific understanding on how things actually work/take place or effect organisms.

Warmer water temps cause faster breathing thus resulting in more CO2 production. warmer temps also causes faster metabolism which causes the fish/ shrimp go to the bathroom more..  it becomes more toxic because its increased in a very small environment so have more PPM in a small bag.

When you are talking about really cold weather, the heatpack can only raise the temp in the box to a certain amount. Its not as hot as if you had the heatpack in a box in room temp. The temps in trucks are much lower and the heatpack just brings the box temp to a nice ambient temperature, not hot or cold.

Also shrimp do not create much waste like fish do. Shrimp should be fasted prior to shipping

1 hour ago, dazalea said:

When you are talking about really cold weather, the heatpack can only raise the temp in the box to a certain amount. Its not as hot as if you had the heatpack in a box in room temp. The temps in trucks are much lower and the heatpack just brings the box temp to a nice ambient temperature, not hot or cold.

Also shrimp do not create much waste like fish do. Shrimp should be fasted prior to shipping

sorry soothing, one more thing XD, its not that I don't agree with you daz i'm just saying that this particular package had no other insulation besides newspaper wrapping the heat pack, sitting directly on top of my shrimp bag.  These shrimp where obviously dead for quite some time (it was only within about 2 and a half days of travel) so something had to go wrong.  We all already realize how heat packs are beneficial, thats why we use them, we are just pointing out the theoretical issues that they pose (and a culprit in this case)

I've kept a few of these guys before, they sound super cool in theory but when I finally got them I literally never saw them. They would hide all the time and I honestly don't know if they ended up getting eaten or if the params weren't to their liking or something. One of my females did manage to become berried though, but after I snapped a pict of her I never saw her again LOL. So unless you're keeping these guys in a small tank with minimal decorations, I would rather just buy a new strain of shrimp. I haven't heard of anyone who's successfully bred these guys either (the distributors get them from exporters who harvest them from freshwater streams in asia). All of these factors combined, you can start to see why after being available for the past couple of years they've never caught on/become popular. You're welcome to try though! I got mine from bobs tropical plants.