Substrate colour for different neos

fernselvis

9 hours ago, fernselvis said:

I have read or been told not sure which, that you should avoid putting a light coloured shrimp with dark substrate as it stress the shrimps.

I know  thats not true.  People claim a lot of bizarre and untrue  things they hear and spue as gospal. I've kept them on light, dark, and  everywhere in between,  they all did just fine

I know  thats not true.  People claim a lot of bizarre and untrue  things they hear and spue as gospal. I've kept them on light, dark, and  everywhere in between,  they all did just fine

Maybe not totally untrue. All shrimp I've kept on white lose their color and get dull. A lot of members here prefer black for neos because it tends to make the shrimp display more pigment for some reason. Not saying it's stress necessarily, but I'm also not saying it's not!

16 hours ago, fernselvis said:

I have read or been told not sure which, that you should avoid putting a light coloured shrimp with dark substrate as it stress the shrimps.

Ive heard a lot of people say OEBTs are blind, so if that's true, I bet they dont care at all.

Now, I dont know if the blind thing is true, byt my OEBTs dont jump when the lights come on like my other shrimp, and they are REALLY easy to catch.

BIack/dark substrate seems to work well for most neos strains, though I would probably try something else for chocolate, black or blue diamonds. I use black eco-complete for my yellows, red rilis, and carbon rilis. Eco-complete isn't a true, deep black, but it still provides a nice contrast, and lots of surface area for goodies to grow. Shrimp like to blend in with their surroundings, so dark colors encourage deeper colors. I just moved some carbon rilis to a tank with eco-complete, and they have deepened in color, though they are harder to see when they are on the gravel. Some are even sporting orange accents now. I've been wanting to try black diamond blasting sand since it's so cheap, but it's not accessible locally. Pool filter sand might be a nice option if you want something light. I'd probably use a dark substrate with a reddish tone for blue or black diamonds.