Discouraged, need cheering up.

Jadenlea

Last week I spent $100 on 25 beautiful Blue dreams.  They were stunningly gorgeous. Surprisingly they came as adults.  Some berried. I was really happy.  Now less than a week later they have almost all died.    The tank is established with a thriving population of other shrimp in it and the parameters are right for Neos.     I am so bummed right now.  Besides being a huge waste of money, I was really excited to have some color in the tank but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. 

Not sure what the issue is.   The old colony is fine. 

That sucks, I have had that happen on more then one occasion but it never gets any easier.  There is nothing that makes you feel quite as helpless as watching them die and not knowing if there is anything you can do about it.

Sorry to hear that... hugs... I've been there too... all my TT are died where my cherries are doing fine in the same tank...

But Brolly is right! I hope you'll get babies at least from one mom!

no Kull and I believe the shrimp were quite healthy when they arrived so even if it was you, it wouldnt be your fault. hehe. 

I've made three rounds of shrimp purchases since getting into the hobby. The first one, I've lost half the shrimp. The second one, I lost a third of the shrimp. I just purchased more this last weekend, and although for now things seem okay, I wouldn't be surprised if a few may die. These critters are small, and can be quite resilient, but are put through a lot of stress in transport. Molting and then being exposed to new parameters and microbes is difficult too. 

I've come to accept that losses are a part of the cost of ownership in this hobby... We do our best to control what we can on our end, and the rest really is beyond our control. This situation didn't sound like you did anything wrong in particular! The monetary hit sucks for sure, but a colleague once said on making hobby purchases, "Are you gonna miss that money in 6 months? If not, buy it with no regrets." Hopefully you still have a berried shrimp, and you'll be in the net positive in a few months!

At the very least, I always think back to the growing pains others have had in the hobby... The owner of the shrimp store in my area once had a thriving tank with hundreds of TBs, and he added a tiny new plant he bought from Malaysia. It nuked the entire tank, and he had to start it from scratch. Glad that hasn't happened to me (yet)! *knock on cholla wood*

If you bought from an importer, alot of times those shrimp will die off. Sorry to say, every time I bought neos from importer one by one they die. Better to buy from a local hobbybreeder... 

Also, it is possibly that the params are radically different from the original tank they came from. Adult shrimp can have a harder time acclimating. Juvies is much better idea then adults

58 minutes ago, sarah said:

Did you test the water they came in? How long did you drip acclimate them?

This is what I was about to say. Perhaps where ever you purchased them from had them in some different parameters then your tanks? Either way, what a bummer. 

With my new first 25 shrimp at least 3 have died (I saw them) over the last month. I can hardly see any of them so it could be more (snails dispose of the bodies in ~12 hours).

2 days ago I was reanchoring a new Buce (I think I like these plants) and found a tiny shrimp had apparently spontaneously generated under it. So either someone bred or spontaneous generation is a thing.

So how often do neos just die?

TDS is ~135/150 (SL Blue Aqua Wizard + RO) PH ~6.6, 0 Nitrates/trites

If all the pond snails started growing big with clear shells is that a sigh that calcium is low?

I'm with Dazalea on this one.  I spent $500 to purchase mosuras from an importer - lost every one of them - ouch. Not so much for the money - but yeah, learned my lesson very well. Don't purchase from importers.  With everything the little guys go through in transport-they don't have much chance of making it.

There is other factors beside water parameters that can affect newly introduced shrimp, they may not tolerate different Bacteria species which your other shrimp already got used to. In nature only the strong shrimp (or any other living critters) survive and reproduce, the weaker or ill shrimp get eaten by predators.

In our aquarium we try to provide pristine conditions for all the shrimp to survive without natural elimination, I have learned over the years that raising shrimp with strong immune system can prevent them dying when introduced to new environment.

That is discouraging!  I think I'd better not buy anymore shrimp myself - I've been very lucky with only 1 purchase - 32 red cherry shrimp and after a few months there are so many that I can't count them; babies constantly! 

16 hours ago, sarah said:

That really stinks :(

Did you test the water they came in? How long did you drip acclimate them?

I hope the shrimp you already had in there don't start to show signs of disease. I would always quarantine new livestock before introducing to an existing colony.

Sorry about your Heartache.  Losses of our animals really bite.

The idea of checking the water parameters never really occurred to me.  Sounds like a good idea.  i just got some shrimp from Wyggles/Gillz and took two days to acclimate.  Several hours of dripping until water volume is doubled. Next morning I do the same thing and then introduce to the tank later in the day.  I also keep an airstone in the water.  I've been doing this with my Guppys for years, but not sure how it would with adult shrimp.  Maybe worth a try.

Fishface dont let this story scare you.  I have had lots of great buying experiences on this board  and in doing so made new friends/aquaintences with the sellers.    This is just a flukey thing. 

Same thing happened to me  I bought 10 Blue Dreams all slowly died  bought another 5 from the guy and they died.  Found out they were imported not tank raised

Started new tank with pre established sponge, set temp to 75. Cycled it a month got some new BD from local shrimper.  they are doing great.  babies everywhere 

Moral is buy  tank raised not importer if u can

Sorry to hear. :/ This is always a bummer, but live and learn, right? Buying from importers in always risky. Best thing you can do is make sure they're quarantined before shipment to you. Ask your importer if he/she QTs, if not, find someone else!

Hey all. I just feel that I need to update because some people have figured out where I got these shrimp from.  I just want to say my post was in no way a criticism of the seller.   He is well respected.   And I want to add that when I let him know about this issue he offered to replace all 25 shrimp at no cost without even being asked.      (I declined since I dont even know for sure what the reason is but I respect that he offered)  

Just wanted to say that since I do not want to effect anyones business negatively