What are your thoughts on this?

Josh

I've been doing a lot of research on shrimps and I really want to start purchasing some. Three tanks are already set up in my basement but I feel like I would like to start off with an easy shrimp that seems to be not that mentioned on this forum which is Ghost Shrimp. What do yo guys think about them? They're very cheap and I can some berried ones at my local Petsmart for 37 cents each. Do you guys think they are boring/too simple? Thanks for the read. 

Ghosts are low order shrimp, which means while you can certainly keep them, it is quite challenging to breed them.

"There are two main types of breeding types, low order and high order.  High order shrimp hatch as miniature adults and have no specific care requirements, while low order shrimp hatch as larva and have many larval stages before they become post larva miniature shrimp. "

If you are looking to get your feet wet in shrimp, any of the neocaridina (cherry shrimp) species is a common starting point.  They come in several colors, and you would have the benefit of knowing that they could multiply if you keep them happy.

6 minutes ago, Shrimple minded said:

Ghosts are low order shrimp, which means while you can certainly keep them, it is quite challenging to breed them.

"There are two main types of breeding types, low order and high order.  High order shrimp hatch as miniature adults and have no specific care requirements, while low order shrimp hatch as larva and have many larval stages before they become post larva miniature shrimp. "

If you are looking to get your feet wet in shrimp, any of the neocaridina (cherry shrimp) species is a common starting point.  They come in several colors, and you would have the benefit of knowing that they could multiply if you keep them happy.

It's kind of difficult because it's my birthday and my parents promised to get me some shrimp but they are not willing to purchase online and also none of my LFS have RCS so it's kind of a bummer. 

29 minutes ago, Josh said:

It's kind of difficult because it's my birthday and my parents promised to get me some shrimp but they are not willing to purchase online and also none of my LFS have RCS so it's kind of a bummer. 

Maybe you can get your LFS to order them for you? Most of the stores in my area allow you to put special orders. Even if you cant to that, and this is last resort.... Im almost sure that petco allows you to order fish from Live Aquatica, as they are now linked together as a partner. I called one time asking if they had assassin snails, and they said I could place an order or get anything from Live Aquatica in store. Wish you luck, I DO recommend any neocaridina species of shrimp. 

Edited by Jorge_
Wrong store

3 hours ago, Josh said:

If your parents object to the Paypal/credit card part of online buying, you might be able to find someone here who would accept a check and then mail the shrimp once it clears the bank.

And Happy Birthday! 

Called my LFS today and guess what... They just got some RCS in stock! They're $4 a shrimp which I don't really know is a good deal or not but I'm heading over to see how they look :) 

Called my LFS today and guess what... They just got some RCS in stock! They're $4 a shrimp which I don't really know is a good deal or not but I'm heading over to see how they look [emoji4] 

Wow, what great timing for you. $4 isn't bad from a LFS. Let's see 'em! Btw, happy birthday!

31 minutes ago, Josh said:

Called my LFS today and guess what... They just got some RCS in stock! They're $4 a shrimp which I don't really know is a good deal or not but I'm heading over to see how they look :) 

Way overpriced if it's Red cherries. 

30 minutes ago, Stitch said:

Way overpriced if it's Red cherries. 

How much are they usually?

48 minutes ago, Josh said:

Well it depends on the grade. 

I've seen lowest grade go for $0.50 a piece or even cheaper. 

Sakuras are around $1 and Fire Reds are about $2

These are all in Canadian dollar too. 

IMO I would never buy shrimps from LFS because of the huge increase in price. 

Unless they messed up or something and sold pintos as CRS/CBS for $5 each.

EDIT: Why not buy prepaid credit card so u can order shrimps online?

Lots of great deal on the market place. U can also check out aquabid.

I got mine for 4 dollars, its fine because they should breed and you will get alot more. If you really wanted to, you can sell them if you overcrowd but if you start with a few, its for sure worth the price :D

Especially since he said that his LFS dont have cherry shrimp in stock at times, I would just go for it if they dont come around as often. Good luck!

Edit: Just wanted to say my shrimp are fire red graded, so I saw it as worth it :)

I'm in California. Never seen them less than $2 at LFS. Usually $3-5.

+1 for prepaid credit card and buy online.

Prices for shrimp online are very different from your LFS, and that is the same for many products.

Nice thing about LFS is that you can see them before buying, and they may also have a 7-14 day guarantee.

You will want to have some males and females. It can be hard to tell the difference, so the more you buy, the more likely you are to get some of each. The usual suggestion is to get 10.

So apparently my LFS just got in some more shrimp. Owner said that some Blue Pearl, Yellow Fire and Red Fire just came in. Now I'm really excited.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

So apparently my LFS just got in some more shrimp. Owner said that some Blue Pearl, Yellow Fire and Red Fire just came in. Now I'm really excited.

I would really consider persuading your parents and informing them about online purchasing. If not your gonna be spending a lot more for your shrimps. Most sellers offer a Dead On Arrival guarantee and payments are through Paypal so everything is very legit and 100% secure. You can also show them this site and let them ask questions, just a tip because i cant imagine how much they will charge for the other neo species.

24 minutes ago, shrimpybuisness said:

I would really consider persuading your parents and informing them about online purchasing. If not your gonna be spending a lot more for your shrimps. Most sellers offer a Dead On Arrival guarantee and payments are through Paypal so everything is very legit and 100% secure. You can also show them this site and let them ask questions, just a tip because i cant imagine how much they will charge for the other neo species.

They said it would be $5.59 a shrimp. I'm done. 

On 5/31/2016 at 4:54 PM, Josh said:

What do yo guys think about them?

Ghost shrimp are jerks. They will pick on and kill/eat other shrimp in your tank. They also like to kill and eat each other.

As they are sold as feeders they are good for testing things like

Q: "How good are Flagfish at algae control and will they eat shrimp?"

A: "Really good at algae control on plants, not so good at glass. They will eat all the shrimp."

Q: will shrimp live in a fresh tank that has not aged?

A: Not if you do not rinse the playground sand.

Q: Can a 5 gallon bowl support a shrimp with no feeding and only biofilm/algae?

A: Yes, works great.

Q: Can a 5 gallon bowl support 3 shrimp with no feeding and only biofilm/algae?

A: No, you end up with 1 shrimp.

Q: Has that tank aged long enough to be safe?

and so on..

Basically you can send them places you would not send expensive shrimp.

They said it would be $5.59 a shrimp. I'm done. 

Dude, that's wiggety-whack! But I've seen them sold for up to $12 in stores so that might be something to consider... I wouldn't tho. Take it from me (and probably everyone else on here), I wasted so much on shrimp from my LFS when I started!

Did you get a chance to see them yet? Which color did you like the most?

On 6/5/2016 at 6:56 PM, Josh said:

I'd be thankful they the LFS got them in.  Maybe they should be $3. The 2 stores near me charge $4 but I live in the New York area where things tend to be a bit higher in price. Unless you are going to be buying a large amount I wouldn't worry about it.