Starting Outdoor Shrimp Ponds...

Jorge_

I may seem insane and crazy, but here it goes...

A few days ago, I was talking to my friend about shrimp and how I enjoy keeping them. We then started talking about what tank I would get, him suggesting that I fill a 50 gallon tank with shrimp and have them breed. He called this a "shrimp farm". Afterward, he actually brought up his uncle, who he is very close to, has a big area of land close by, around 10 minutes away from my house, where I can keep shrimp. I thought it was funny and a joke but then later in the night, he told me his uncle was offering a rent to a part of his land. He was fine with me making small ponds as long as they weren't open water, since he didn't want to attract mosquitoes. 

So, this is the idea. I make small ponds and keep them well planted, as well as adding shrimp. I would also add some sort of fish, such as mosquito fish to eat the bugs. I may need to keep covers if he really doesnt want open water. Now for the issues.... I live in CA, specifically Southern CA and the weather can go over 100F during the day. Not to mention we are in desert type terrain, so what I may have to do is have some sort of shelter or shaded area. Another issue is birds, we have large crows which are crazy. I would also visit very few times a week, about 1 - 3 a week and possibly start riding a bike, so my parents dont have to bring me. I can answer alot of issues, this is still a crazy thought, and most likely wont be done but this is just an idea for now, so if anyone can leave suggestions or their 2 cents on whether I can improve this or make it do-able, let me know! Thanks

If you have mosquito fish they will probably eat some of your shrimplets.

15 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

If you have mosquito fish they will probably eat some of your shrimplets.

Then maybe some way to disturb the water such as a small fountain? I was planning to put plants in either way, so it would be densely planted with things like mosses. 

We have very hot weather here, and people keep ponds.  I've looked into it myself. Ponds need to be deep and have floating plants for coverage to help control algae and reduce heat.  Then frogs move in.  This site may be helpful: http://www.pondgnome.com/pond-tour.html

We ended up deciding against making a pond here.

Then maybe some way to disturb the water such as a small fountain? I was planning to put plants in either way, so it would be densely planted with things like mosses. 

You might also try different fish. If you have a ton of moss and plants and start with enough stock, you might be able to pull it off. Micro rasboras might be something to look into. They have tiny mouths, but could still swallow a shrimplet and probably kill an adult shrimp...

On 6/5/2016 at 0:38 PM, Inverte Ponics said:

We have very hot weather here, and people keep ponds.  I've looked into it myself. Ponds need to be deep and have floating plants for coverage to help control algae and reduce heat.  Then frogs move in.  This site may be helpful: http://www.pondgnome.com/pond-tour.html

We ended up deciding against making a pond here.

I have galaxy rasbora in my tank, they seem to not bother the shrimp AND shrimplets :D

Ive never seen them pick at any of the shrimp or attack so those may be an option...

Yet again, the challenge to do this is VERY hard and I may reconsider...