Hi, I'm very new to shrimping and I am just starting on caridinas for an addition to my neos and if anyone has any beginner ones that are willing to sell me some, I would appreciate it! Grade does not matter for me. Ideally, my budget is from $20-45 shipped because college! I'm familiar with CRS and CBS. Thank you for reading :( 

(hoping for around 10 or so but im not picky!! Negotiable thank you again!)

edit(also down for some mischlings)

Maybe consider starting with mischlings (CRS/CBS x TB). They look a lot like crystals but with a wider variety of patterns and sometimes TBs pop up and in my experience they are a little hardier and more tolerant to a wide range of parameters. Some members here sell them for ~$3-4. I got some very hardy ones from Mayphly a few months ago and keep them with neos, all still healthy and breeding.

30 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

Maybe consider starting with mischlings (CRS/CBS x TB). They look a lot like crystals but with a wider variety of patterns and sometimes TBs pop up and in my experience they are a little hardier and more tolerant to a wide range of parameters. Some members here sell them for ~$3-4. I got some very hardy ones from Mayphly a few months ago and keep them with neos, all still healthy and breeding.

Thank you for your kind advice :) I was wondering what mischlings were and if it was a better choice! Glad to hear about your shrimp success! 

Thank you for your kind advice [emoji4] I was wondering what mischlings were and if it was a better choice! Glad to hear about your shrimp success! 

Imho mischling are a better choice because CRS/CBS tend to be either very line bred and sensitive or imported. The mix of genes with TB definitely strengthens the mischlings as far as water params.

4 hours ago, Brolly33 said:

Ohmiko, I started my colony with mischilngs as well. They were about the same price as low grade CRS/CBS and the big fun of it is getting TBs popping out from time to time.

As starter shrimp, they are awesome.

Oh wow! I read it's a really low chance of TBs coming out how many times has it happened for you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Out of the initial buy of 20 mischlings and 1 Blue Bolt I lost all but 3 mischlings. This was before I switched to control soil.

Staring from those survivors, 2 females and 1 male, 1 year ago,  I now have a healthy and strong colony, 3 generations deep.

Current population is about 100 shrimp.

1 low quality red bolt

2 low quality blue bolts (but I have not seen one of them in a while. He might have been a loss)

10 CRS of various grades and patterns

6 CBS of various grades and patterns

There is an interesting brown trending to purple on the cheeks of some of the second generation females. I am very curious to see where it goes.

Somewhat lower than the 25% I was suspecting, but still very rewarding.

I only have one tank, so I don't have options for selective breeding. Nothing astounding or show quality has come out.

If you want to have top quality, prepare to spend a few years aggressively culling to your goal, or invest in an established line.

If you want great starter shrimp at low cost and the potential for some nice surprises, go Mischling!

Original Population.jpg

Top shot.jpg

Blue 1.png