My Twinstar Shrimp Log

Wow, three weeks already.  Update....

1. I did have 3 Shrimp deaths :(  I believe that the Twinstar did a good job of killing the string algae, and I did not do a large enough water change to combat all the newly dead algae.  My TDS rose and I "think" that might be what happened.  Very sad, as the 3 where all Older, larger ones.  The Juvi's are all fine.

2. Who knows why but I do have 2 bearded shrimp.  It could be it was time anyhow, but I do know I have 2 with eggs.

3. The Green hair algae is staying away, even with the long lighting cycle

That is all for now.  See the latest video and let me know what you think :) 

• 2 weeks later...

@Rivergardennursery

I really liked the 1 week interval videos portion of documenting your test.

It does look like you have less green hair algae in your tank now.

The Twinstar could have had an effect, or it could just me that the algae has corrected the underlying nutrient imbalance and went away on it's own.

I would love to see a side by side test in a couple of clear plastic 2-liter bottles in a sunny window.

Seed both with your hair algae, feed both some fish food once a week, for nutrient load.

Once both have a big clump of the hair algae, drop the Twinstar in one of the containers and run test for 2 more months. 

Compare the bottles weekly.

Having a control is the key to a good experiment.

On 7/5/2016 at 0:52 PM, Rivergardennursery said:

Wow, three weeks already.  Update....

1. I did have 3 Shrimp deaths :(  I believe that the Twinstar did a good job of killing the string algae, and I did not do a large enough water change to combat all the newly dead algae.  My TDS rose and I "think" that might be what happened.  Very sad, as the 3 where all Older, larger ones.  The Juvi's are all fine.

2. Who knows why but I do have 2 bearded shrimp.  It could be it was time anyhow, but I do know I have 2 with eggs.

3. The Green hair algae is staying away, even with the long lighting cycle

That is all for now.  See the latest video and let me know what you think :) 

From my experiment I noticed the device would cause a lack of oxygen in the water. I used one in a fish tank without aeration and within  24 hours my fish started breathing heavy and once I added aeration the fish were back to normal. I think devices like these do not work. What works is correct light balance and keeping nitrates low. If I start seeing any hair algae growing I will check nitrates and if its to high will do a water change. To kill the algae I use a little bit of peroxide with a 12 inch pipette and Elevateshrimp.com hair algae remover. 

For me, hair algae tends be a problem when I first start a tank up and once its established and my plants and floating plants have established themselves I rarely have problems with hair algae. When I do see hair algae its usually a spike in nitrates.

• 2 weeks later...

Week 6 Update

Six weeks now with the twinstar shrimp.  I am not seeing any babies and still had some shrimp that have passed away.  I went on vacation and filled the water to the top.  I came back to find 4 of my shrimp decided to crawl out and Die on my desk :( I do still have a few with eggs, so I am keeping my figures crossed.  Algae is still at bay and I see eggs, but no babies yet

You have Cherry shrimp with an active soil. I assume you might be using RO water and getting parameters more suited for TB's.

Just personal experience Neo's never do well in low PH, and just because adult shrimp survive does not mean the young will.

On 7/29/2016 at 5:36 PM, Greenteam said:

You have Cherry shrimp with an active soil. I assume you might be using RO water and getting parameters more suited for TB's.

Just personal experience Neo's never do well in low PH, and just because adult shrimp survive does not mean the young will.

Thank You and very good point for everyone.  I do use RO water and add minerals for the cherries.  The soil in this tank is "old"  no longer buffers and the water stays around 7.5