Cold Packs- Things are heating up!

The weather is beginning to warm up around the country and the demand for shrimp is bigger than ever. I've never used cold packs in the past. Only heat packs. After doing some research I ended up with the TSK Dry Gel 2 oz. Ice Packs.

It was a toss up between these and the Phase 2. 

Anybody else out there using these? How many would you recommend placing in a 7x7x6 insulated box if the outdoor temps are between 90-100 using USPS priority.

Most all shrimp I ship to these hot places are also "hold for pick up" only at the post office.

I bought some Phase 2 but don't really understand how they work and no instructions. To my understanding they are supposed to keep temp between 68-72 degrees correct? If so, how????? I know they can go from solid to liquid and vice versa. 

These packs are just a little bigger than an ice cube. I'll be testing them out today. 27816cfe1d4c3759ac9015f47d861bba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the TSK 3 oz Dry Gel Ice Pack. I used them last summer and currently this summer with good results.

I use the TSK 3 oz Dry Gel Ice Pack. I used them last summer and currently this summer with good results.

DET, how many do you use in a 7x7x6 box?

9 minutes ago, mayphly said:

DET, how many do you use in a 7x7x6 box?

Normally just one. I haven't had any complaints so far.

I personally don't feel comfortable shipping in these super hot heatwaves... I don't think enough people have knowledge about the cold packs and all the fine details surrounding shipping in extreme heat with them. I personally would wait for a window where the weather is not as severe. Or only ship via next day service. Good luck , I wish you success. I'm sure you already know this but I would use the really thick styro help keep that heat out. And perhaps only shipping overnight would help. Dropping the box off at 4pm at the Post office and then it will arrive to its destination in the morning... you can avoid those mid day severe temps

I sent a package of shrimp to a place where the weather was in the 90's the other day. I also requested a "hold for pickup" and even highlighted it. And.... Guess what? Yep, they delivered it to the house where the package sat for several hours. I used one of the dry gel packs wrapped in a paper towel which I taped to the inside of the lid and wrapped the shrimp in R-13 insulation which is aprox 4" thick. All this is stuffed in to an insulated box. Well glad to say that the shrimp all survived the trip. The water was 68-69 degrees upon arrival and the shrimp were all active and started to graze once placed in the tank. I'm glad it all turned out fine.

21 minutes ago, mayphly said:

I sent a package of shrimp to a place where the weather was in the 90's the other day. I also requested a "hold for pickup" and even highlighted it. And.... Guess what? Yep, they delivered it to the house where the package sat for several hours. I used one of the dry gel packs wrapped in a paper towel which I taped to the inside of the lid and wrapped the shrimp in R-13 insulation which is aprox 4" thick. All this is stuffed in to an insulated box. Well glad to say that the shrimp all survived the trip. The water was 68-69 degrees upon arrival and the shrimp were all active and started to graze once placed in the tank. I'm glad it all turned out fine.

Taping the pack to the inside lid is what kept them at the right temps. This is why you are one of the best breeders and shippers in the shrimping hobby. People make mistakes by laying heat/cold packs right on top of the shrimps. Unless the shrimps freeze, cold doesnt kill, heat kills very very fast.