Tell me about your best shrimp-related purchases!

Mr. F

Hey all, 

I've always been curious about all the hardware and accessories out there. I've been skeptical, tried some, and been both pleasantly surprised and equally disappointed. I'm about to upgrade all my 3 gallons to 10 gallons and also setting up another 10g TB tank on top of that- MINI RACK TIME! :]

SO, I'd like you hear about some of your "pleasant surprise" purchases, or maybe just the best investment/purchase you've made for your shrimp such as:

• A quiet but high volume air pump
  • Superb filtration (probably gonna go with HMFs so foam/glass baffle sources for that?)
  • Good (grows plants) but inexpensive lighting (1x 36"-40" or 2x 18"-20")
  • where to get a ton of active substrate on the cheap
  • Anything that you think is a shrimp must-have or just a great product to have on hand.

Thanks shrimpers!

Nick

Hey Mr. F, I got one of those glass shrimp catchers that is worth its weight in gold. I have to bring it into my office sometimes and it is like moving bank deposits that are breakable. Gillz is evengoing to make a custom wooden box to house it in. "Don't break the shrimp catcher!" It moves shrimp virtually stress free since they don't leave the water. 

Alita 15 hands down my favorite for smaller racks. Can easily run 12 tanks and crazy powerful with minimal noise. 

Regarding light I would place the tanks vertical to each other an use one long light to illuminate them all (adding picture).

Substrate who knows.

The only must haves for me in any tank is driftwood (prefer malaysian), moss (noticed my shrimps love java), & leaf litter. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Hey Mr. F, I got one of those glass shrimp catchers that is worth its weight in gold. I have to bring it into my office sometimes and it is like moving bank deposits that are breakable. Gillz is evengoing to make a custom wooden box to house it in. "Don't break the shrimp catcher!" It moves shrimp virtually stress free since they don't leave the water. 

I'm not exactly sure what that is, but by the context I can imagine. That's a cool one! Thanks!

What will you be using for the mini rack? I want to go in that direction soon too but don't have space for a full rack

One or two of those 4"x2" wire racks. I'll link one later.

Alita 15 hands down my favorite for smaller racks. Can easily run 12 tanks and crazy powerful with minimal noise. 

Regarding light I would place the tanks vertical to each other an use one long light to illuminate them all (adding picture).

Substrate who knows.

The only must haves for me in any tank is driftwood (prefer malaysian), moss (noticed my shrimps love java), & leaf litter. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Well I think I'm good with substrate now. Found some Amazonia and also gonna devote a few to neos, so just regular gravel or sand there. I agree with the placement of the tanks for the lighting sake, but I think I'd put two strip lights over each row of tanks.

I hear "Alita" everywhere so I guess I gotta give it a go since it's so highly recommended!

Thanks!

Alita air pump is probably my best shrimp related purchase.

I used to be able to hear my hydrofarm air pumps from my room on the 2nd floor and the pump is on the 1st floor.

I could pretty much only hear alita pump if I'm within 1 meter of it and listening closely to it otherwise, I won't even notice it.

Made sleeping A LOT easier.

That's funny that the Alita air pump made what seems to be #1 on the list.  After researching past post for quality pumps I ordered one from Amazon several days ago.   Sending Oblong $10 to help support this forum is still my best spent money on shrimp. 

Alita air pump is probably my best shrimp related purchase.

I used to be able to hear my hydrofarm air pumps from my room on the 2nd floor and the pump is on the 1st floor.

I could pretty much only hear alita pump if I'm within 1 meter of it and listening closely to it otherwise, I won't even notice it.

Made sleeping A LOT easier.

That's funny that the Alita air pump made what seems to be #1 on the list.  After researching past post for quality pumps I ordered one from Amazon several days ago.   Sending Oblong $10 to help support this forum is still my best spent money on shrimp. 

Thanks guys. With that price tag it better be quiet! Definitely picking on up soon. How many- let's say- 10g HMFs would you say I could power while still having auxiliary air lines for a few breeder boxes?

Honestly I'll be doing 4-6 10gs on this rack. Each with a breeder and I'd like some extra lines just in case. So it sounds like the AL-15 or 20 should do it? Or is that still overkill? Or under...kill? Lol.

I have a ton of manifolds, gange valves, and airline valve, so I'd probably just want barebones, but thanks for the link! How much have you powered off that one pump?

I am currently using the AL-40 powering 16 sponge filters.

When I used the AL-15, it didn't have enough to pressure to power 16 sponge filters. I'd say AL-15 can do about 10.

Was the pump above or below the aquariums? I ask because you get less pressure the higher it has to lift.

2 hours ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

For my racks I have 18 valve stainless steel manifolds which are great.  Someday I'll run colored hose to each tank and valve to make it easier for myself though.

My best 2 investments have been 1) Alita air pump. (In my case AL60), and RO filter.

I haven't done my airlines since I rarely do anything with them, but I did put color coded wraps on each 'end' of my electrical stuff. Since it is such a spaghetti mess.

For my racks I have 18 valve stainless steel manifolds which are great.  Someday I'll run colored hose to each tank and valve to make it easier for myself though.

My best 2 investments have been 1) Alita air pump. (In my case AL60), and RO filter.

Check on the RODI filter, I guess I'll be getting an Alita!

The best thing ever bought for my shrimp was a TDS meter. It helped my pinpoint my water issues. I was having many issues with my shrimp after I set up a couple new tanks for some new strains. All my neos stopped breeding and didn't even develop saddles, babies never made it to adulthood, and a few were lost to bacterial infections and molting issues. The TDS meter showed me that my tap water is very soft, and all of the shrimp tanks registered under 70. I retraced my steps to figure out why I previously had breeding success, and pinned it down to crushed coral and frozen brine shrimp, two things provided to my shrimp while they lived with my mystery snails. The addition of the crushed coral stabilized the pH and increased the TDS. All of my female shrimp developed saddles again almost instantly in response to the changes. I have since taken out the crushed coral, and I now use SL Aqua Wizard to raise the TDS of my tap water and GH. Since all of the females developed saddles at the same time, I'm now in the middle of a major baby boom. The breeding success with the neos of course gave me more reason to get my first caridinas. I also just started finding my first caridina babies from my snow white bees, and I have my first berried tibees, mischlings, and TBs. I use the TDS meter during every water change to monitor my tap water, and to help measure the right amount of reminerializer.

I also have an Alita pump, which really does a great job. I also recommend getting a wire rack. LED shop lights do a great job lighting multiple tanks.

The best thing ever bought for my shrimp was a TDS meter. It helped my pinpoint my water issues. I was having many issues with my shrimp after I set up a couple new tanks for some new strains. All my neos stopped breeding and didn't even develop saddles, babies never made it to adulthood, and a few were lost to bacterial infections and molting issues. The TDS meter showed me that my tap water is very soft, and all of the shrimp tanks registered under 70. I retraced my steps to figure out why I previously had breeding success, and pinned it down to crushed coral and frozen brine shrimp, two things provided to my shrimp while they lived with my mystery snails. The addition of the crushed coral stabilized the pH and increased the TDS. All of my female shrimp developed saddles again almost instantly in response to the changes. I have since taken out the crushed coral, and I now use SL Aqua Wizard to raise the TDS of my tap water and GH. Since all of the females developed saddles at the same time, I'm now in the middle of a major baby boom. The breeding success with the neos of course gave me more reason to get my first caridinas. I also just started finding my first caridina babies from my snow white bees, and I have my first berried tibees, mischlings, and TBs. I use the TDS meter during every water change to monitor my tap water, and to help measure the right amount of reminerializer.

I also have an Alita pump, which really does a great job. I also recommend getting a wire rack. LED shop lights do a great job lighting multiple tanks.

The LED shop light is a great idea! Any recommendations on a specific one?

2 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

The LED shop light is a great idea! Any recommendations on a specific one?

The first ones I tried were the Feit ones that you can get at Costco, after I saw a Youtube review on the Aquarium Co-Op channel. I have since switched to the Lights of America brand that you can get at Sam's Club. I ordered mine online. There is no diffuser, so the light is more direct. The reflector is also larger, and prevents light from spilling out the sides. The reflector also doubles as a heat sink. The color temperature is closer to daylight, which I like, and is visually brighter than the Feit light. The are easy to hang if you use wire racks, and fit perfectly inside the 4ft wide shelves.