RCS Deaths

latchdan

Hello, I've been having some recent RCS deaths this past couple weeks. I purchased shrimp in Decemeber 2015, and I had good breeding up till a couple weeks ago.

specs on the tank

10g, planted no co2 ferts 5ppm nitrate dosed 1X per 2 weeks. 1/2ml of flourish comp added 1X per 2 weeks

WC 1 gallon of RO mixed with 0.54g Salty bee shrimp, 0.16g baking soda =2dkh and 7dgh. Once per 2 weeks. top offs with RO water.

temp 74

ph 7.8

ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate ~10

GH 8

KH 3

TDS 270ppm

50 watt heater, dual sponge filter for filtration.

I feed a mixture of zucchini, cucumber, hikari shrimp cuisine, fluval shrimp granules, dried mulberry leafs. I rotate 2-3 veggies before adding a protein food.

In the last 2 days I've noticed several deaths in young shrimp. (1/4" big)

Also, I haven't fed in about 7 days so added a boiled piece of carrot, (never fed before) shrimp showed 0 interest in 3 days so I removed. I then added hikari shrimp cuisine (~15 pellets this morning) That too the shrimp showed 0 interest and I vacuumed out after 5hrs.

I've posted this same topic on Plantedtank and was told to come over here and ask.  I don't really see anything that has changed or jumps out at me.

Any idea? The tds is the only thing that seems high, I did my WC yesterday, I'm not sure if I should do more or wait, I know stability is important.

I'm going to up WC to 1 gallon every week unless I should do more/less?

The small shrimp size indicates a possible molting issue. TDS can cause this but also temperature because shrimp grow faster in warmer water. Is it possible that it's fluctuating during the day and getting warmer than you think?

I'm seeing plenty of molts Friday since I did the WC Thursday. I have the heater and a fan connected to a heater controller(inkbird 305s) so it only changes 1 degree up or down. I can reduce the temp if that might be better. The guy at the LFS said  75 F was optimal I thought lower was better though.

Today I was watching my shrimp tank and I saw a worm that looked similar to pictures of planaria. I only saw one and vacuumed it out of the tank. Perhaps these are killing my shrimp? I was looking around on the web about ways to deal with Planaria, Fenbendazole is used to kill planaria?

Killing Planaria and Hydra .:. Information on killing Planaria & Hydra with Fenbendazole
This says .1g in 10 gallon tank cleared it up. Do you think I should give this a try. Says they tried it on shrimp tanks.

Where would be the best place to find Fenbendazole? There is a Petco/walmart/ pet feed store close to me that I could check.

If I see another ill try to get a picture, but only saw one yesterday.

It looked red/pink in color and about 1/8th-1/4th inch long. Didn`t look at it real close to see if it had a triangle head or not.

When i started sucking it up it retracted into a ball.

If I end up using fenbendazole will i need to add carbon after 1 day after dosing?

5 hours ago, latchdan said:

If I see another ill try to get a picture, but only saw one yesterday.

It looked red/pink in color and about 1/8th-1/4th inch long. Didn`t look at it real close to see if it had a triangle head or not.

When i started sucking it up it retracted into a ball.

If I end up using fenbendazole will i need to add carbon after 1 day after dosing?

I have dosed fenbendazole twice in my 15 gallon aquarium with great success getting rid of planaria and detritus worms. Make sure to finely crush the powder, dose on day one and three, and then perform a water change on day 4. In the long run, feed less so that there arent excess nutrients for them to thrive off of. How are you performing your water changes? how are you adding water to the tank?