switching to RO

I've just brewed up my first batch of RO.

pH 6.4

I need to switch my tanks to this, but they are at pH 7.6 (or higher?)

Since this is my first time making RO, I don't know if/how much the pH will change when I age overnight, and add SS GH+

Also, I was going to try to mix just 2 gallons of remin water. Is it too tricky to do it with this small volume?

Hadn't really decided exactly how I was gonna switch; 10% water changes??

2 hours ago, 35ppt said:

pH 6.4

Since this is my first time making RO, I don't know if/how much the pH will change when I age overnight, and add SS GH+

Also, I was going to try to mix just 2 gallons of remin water. Is it too tricky to do it with this small volume?

1)Do you have a TDS meter? A GH/KH test kit would also be helpful. As for using RODI water, its hard to say how much you need to add until we have your tank water parameters. Is there anything like your hardscape or substrate that could be contributing to your hardness? What about your tap water? I cannot attest to adding GH+ but I will say go slowly when you add RODI to your system by dripping it in.

2) What is your stock at this time? Based on how stocked your tank it you can use aq advisor (http://aqadvisor.com/) to determine the percent water changes that you will need to make weekly. Its a pretty good guide for stocking levels and to see if you have your bases covered with filtration.  

Thanks for the link, that looks a handy estimator.

I do have tds and GH. But the big difference in pH is what concerns me - the closer all the values the less potential losses. The tanks/tap have the higher pH compared to the RO, and I don't have anything in the tank that will affect pH.  Yes, I was planning to drip; good reminder.

So far, sitting overnight hasn't changed the pH of the RO (RODI, actually), and I'm getting ready to break into the SS GH+ now....

On a side note, I had some store-bought RO water that has been sitting around for a few months, in a loosely covered vessel. Don't recall the exact pH when I bought it, somewhere in the high 6 range. Now it is testing at 7.6.

17 hours ago, 35ppt said:

pH 6.4

Remember that your RO's PH isnt really a true PH since there is nothing in the water to buffer. Its takes very little TDS to change the PH. My RO's PH can also differ (+- 3-6) at different times of the year.

Make your changes slowly. Depending on what shrimps you have the 10% should be fine until you have achieved 100%. I would try one tank and see what happens.

What kind of substrate are you using and is there anything in the tanks that could increase the hardness and PH?