LFS experience w/sick shrimp

sarah

So I had an uncomfortable experience at an LFS today.

I was looking for a particular fish, so I wandered down an aisle at the back of the store. I could see 2 men talking in front of a shrimp tank, and I assumed both were store employees. One was asking the other what the difference is between red rillis and red cherries. The second guy wasn’t sure, so of course nosy Sarah just had to insert herself into the conversation and explain. Once I explained that, the first guy started asking me more questions, like how to tell the males and females apart. I was looking in the tank trying to show him the differences, and I noticed that the shrimp in the net that guy #2 had just scooped up had a ton of Ellobiopsis (aka the green death).  So of course being nosy big-mouthed me, I immediately declare that this shrimp is diseased and should be culled immediately, and that most likely all the other shrimp in the tank have been exposed and should not be sold. I look up, and guy #2 is clearly pissed, while guy #1 is fascinated and concerned (and of course now has a ton more questions). It was at this moment that I realized that I just interfered with a sale. It wasn’t 2 employees at all, guy #1 was a customer. Ooops.

So I do really feel bad, but also the store employees should have been taught about and not be allowed to sell clearly diseased livestock. Also, they were ridiculously overpriced. I think they guy ended up buying some yellow neos from a different tank anyway. I did apologize to the employee afterwards, and he was cool about it. Told me he learned something from me, and thanked me. But still, the whole experience left me feeling kinda yucky and jerky.

Just thought I’d share and see if others here would have done the same.

Super Sarah to the rescue!  I believe it is our duty as humans to do what we can to help others.  Makes no difference if it after a disaster, holding a door, helping someone with difficulties, or informing others about the hobbies we enjoy.  I get great satisfaction that I can make a difference in someones life thru knowledge given to me by my parents and others during my lifetime.

Right On The Mark Sister!!

17 minutes ago, oem said:

Super Sarah to the rescue!  I believe it is our duty as humans to do what we can to help others.  Makes no difference if it after a disaster, holding a door, helping someone with difficulties, or informing others about the hobbies we enjoy.  I get great satisfaction that I can make a difference in someones life thru knowledge given to me by my parents and others during my lifetime.

Right On The Mark Sister!!

It's so funny that you say this. The reason I had thought guy #1 was a store employee in the first place was because he had opened and held the door for me to come in to the store! After I gave him the advice, he said "I'm glad I held the door for you. I got great free advice!"