Priscilla

Hello everyone, 

I have this 1litre jar and I'm thinking of adding snails to accompany my brackish water shrimps.

Because a litre is not very big, I am hoping to get a snail that doesn't grow very big because I don't want my jar to look crowded.

Are there such tiny snails available? 

Thank you :) 

30 minutes ago, Soothing Shrimp said:

You could add a single Nerite snail.  They only grow between 1/2" to an inch, and keep the glass free of algae.

They can survive in brackish water? Because I went to search up on them and they are labeled as fresh water snails, did I look for the wrong type? :o 

Will it affect my jar in anyway? Like causing it to be more dirty? Because of its waste, since mine has no filter and I only feed my shrimps once a week. 

I have some Malaysian trumpet snails in my brackish water tank. A while ago, I ordered some fish and shrimp from Ark on aquabid, and I asked him for some lava rocks and algae from his opae ula tanks. He put some in the package for free. I got two types of algae as well as a few baby Malaysian trumpet snails. The algae and the snails have since grown, and the tank is cycled, but I think I'm going to have to take it down because I'm moving. I'll just have to try again some other time.

49 minutes ago, seaj said:

I have some Malaysian trumpet snails in my brackish water tank. A while ago, I ordered some fish and shrimp from Ark on aquabid, and I asked him for some lava rocks and algae from his opae ula tanks. He put some in the package for free. I got two types of algae as well as a few baby Malaysian trumpet snails. The algae and the snails have since grown, and the tank is cycled, but I think I'm going to have to take it down because I'm moving. I'll just have to try again some other time.

How big are your snails now? :o 

4 minutes ago, seaj said:

The biggest snails are now 1/2 an inch long. I think they are full grown, and they've been making babies for a while.

oh nice! 1/2 an inch seems alright for my 1l jar.

Do you know any online store that ships internationally? I have trouble finding one :( 

I'm going to have to be a voice of dissent here. I don't think nerites are a good choice for such a small tank. They really do need quite a bit of algae to eat on a constant basis, so they do best in well-established tanks of a decent size. I think with other snail types, you can supplement-feed, but in my experience nerites can be very hard to feed.

I'm going to have to be a voice of dissent here. I don't think nerites are a good choice for such a small tank. They really do need quite a bit of algae to eat on a constant basis, so they do best in well-established tanks of a decent size. I think with other snail types, you can supplement-feed, but in my experience nerites can be very hard to feed.

I see.. So what would you suggest for my jar that's without filter? :o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have much experience with any other brackish snails, so I'll leave that to the others.

I also forgot to mention Nerites also climb out if they're not 100% thrilled with their conditions.

Wow I didn't know that! Thanks for the advice! [emoji4]

How big do they get? [emoji848]

They stay about 1/4" maybe a little bigger. This is a gray choice!

I agree that the Horned Nerite (Clithon Corona) is a good choice.  With it's yellow and brown/black stripes and small size (12-20 mm) it is a small, pretty snail that loves to eat leftover food and algae.

5 hours ago, oem said:

I agree that the Horned Nerite (Clithon Corona) is a good choice.  With it's yellow and brown/black stripes and small size (12-20 mm) it is a small, pretty snail that loves to eat leftover food and algae.

Does my jar need to have A LOT of algae for the horned nerite to survive?

Hi Priscilla.   No it does not need alot of algae.  The best feature of these snails is that they will eat any leftover shrimp food to help keep the water in your jar clean and safe for your shrimp.  If you are not sure they are getting enough to eat you can drop in a piece of green leaf vegetable (pac choi, mizuna, tat soi, spinach) on a string for them to eat which the shrimp will eat as well.  If there are no holes in it by second day,  just pull it out, hang it up to dry and save for another day.   Mike