Caridina Shrimp Question

Ryanjuds

They have a smaller range of acceptable parameters, so generally people like to get some experience taking care of a few dozen neos- which are more hardy- before they drop a couple hundred on cards just to have them all die a couple weeks in. Experience tends to be the best measure of preparedness in situations like these, no need jumping the gun. It's also easier to take care of cards if you spend a few extra bucks on equipment, accessories, and chemicals- like an RO/DI unit, TDS and pH meters, active substrate, foods, and remineralizers. If you were to jump straight to cards, I would recommend Mischlinge (TB x CRS/CBS), which tend to be exceptionally hardy for cards. I have mayphly's mischlinge in 6.8 pH, 1 KH, 5 GH, TDS around 160-180.

Edit: note, for an idea of how wide the range of parameters are, I believe he breeds his mischlinge in pH 5.3-5.5

Aside from water parameters, they also breed and grow much slower, and deaths in the colony require more recovery time, compared to neos, which can bounce back nicely from disasters, at least in my experience. I've only just started getting my first caridina babies this month, since my shrimp just hit maturity recently , but I can tell that I even though I have 8 berried caridinas, I won't be running out of tank space soon. On the other hand, my neos are starting to clog up the 5 gallon tanks I keep them in.