Power Sand

Hey ShrimpSpot!

I have been contemplating for sometime whether to try out a small bag of Power Sand under the substrate of my shrimp tanks. Why? My thoughts are more porous surface area for bacteria to colonize. Unfortunately I have never used Power Sand and I know of cheaper ways to complete this task. Any thoughts, ideas, etc?

Thanks!

DETAquarium

58 minutes ago, DETAquarium said:

Hey ShrimpSpot!

I have been contemplating for sometime whether to try out a small bag of Power Sand under the substrate of my shrimp tanks. Why? My thoughts are more porous surface area for bacteria to colonize. Unfortunately I have never used Power Sand and I know of cheaper ways to complete this task. Any thoughts, ideas, etc?

Thanks!

DETAquarium

Don't have any experience with it but wouldn't burying it under the substrate negate it's purpose? Only a small percentage of the substrate is aerobic (top layer) and the rest is anaerobic.

Power Sand is meant to be under the substrate as the bottom layer. Helps prevent anaerobic gas buildup.

5 hours ago, DETAquarium said:

Power Sand is meant to be under the substrate as the bottom layer. Helps prevent anaerobic gas buildup.

I see, but how does it prevent gas build up? What does it do exactly? You said it was porous but once you cover it up with a layer of substrate how does O2 get to the power sand? The only way I know how to prevent gas build up is with either a UGF , snails like MTS or poking the soil.  Please dont take this wrong way, not trying to argue with you, just trying to figure out how this works with another substrate on top of it.

I have used PowerSand in all my planted tank setups, and highly recommend it. My crypts, swords, Blyxa, and other rooted plants all went for it. When I tore down my 65-gallon community tank after 4 years, my Echinodorus parviflorus was close to 12" tall, had 5-6 daughter plants, and all of them had PowerSand clinging off of their roots. If you're going to be keeping a tank for the long-term, I think it's worth the investment.

Currently, all but one of my shrimp tanks are planted, and they all use PowerSand underneath in conjunction with ADA AS and their line of substrate additives. No ill effects that I can see.

IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

Certainly understand Vpier, as I have not actually used Powersand nor experimented with the arguement then I can't say for sure. I remember either reading or watching a video regarding the use of Powersand and how they recommend it because it helps alleviate how much substrate you need and reduces how compact the soil will become killing off any gas exchange. The Powersand from what I can tell are larger porous rocks which when stacked together will leave gaps within it.

Ultimately I think I am going to test the theory, at the very least I think it will something new and it comes packed with bacteria.

"ADA Power Sand is a volcanic pumice available in various sizes; small, medium and large, depending on the tank size. It is porous and provides the perfect home for beneficial bacteria, effectively turning the whole substrate into a form of biological filtration. It will also stop compaction and encourage water movement within the substrate helping to keep it fresh. It may be used in conjunction with other makes of substrate."

-The Green Machine article

2 hours ago, DETAquarium said:

"ADA Power Sand is a volcanic pumice available in various sizes; small, medium and large, depending on the tank size. It is porous and provides the perfect home for beneficial bacteria, effectively turning the whole substrate into a form of biological filtration. It will also stop compaction and encourage water movement within the substrate helping to keep it fresh. It may be used in conjunction with other makes of substrate."

-The Green Machine article

I read that on ADA's site but you stated you are going to use it on the bottom.

Does that mean its supposed to be mixed with other substrates or used underneath? If its mixed then this makes sense because of the sand being porous.

Lets say I get some powersand and add a layer of Amazonia on top of it. The Amazonia is soil. Once its settles the soil will compact like mud and prevent O2 from getting to the powersand and will in a sense act as a lid and trap gasses underneath.  I may be wrong but my 40+ years of aquarium experience as a hobbyist and importer of tropical fishes is preventing me from understanding how the powersand will work if its covered with a substrate like ADA soils. I could be missing something and I'm being stubborn.

I will be using PowerSand on the very bottom against the glass as that is what is recommended by ADA, The Green Machine, etc. Is that the right avenue? I don't know at this point since I have never used, I am solely basing the placement of the PowerSand from the years of aquascapes these professionals have completed.

The placement will be similar to this picture from Green Machine, I would have to assume it would take quite a long time for the substrate to maneuver its way down to completely block out all crevices. By that point I will have already moved on to the next project. Either way we shall see, it maybe a waste of money, but I certainly have spent money on far worse.  

Crimson Sky Aquascape Fish Tank by James Findley

4 minutes ago, DETAquarium said:

I will be using PowerSand on the very bottom against the glass as that is what is recommended by ADA, The Green Machine, etc. Is that the right avenue? I don't know at this point since I have never used, I am solely basing the placement of the PowerSand from the years of aquascapes these professionals have completed.

The placement will be similar to this picture from Green Machine, I would have to assume it would take quite a long time for the substrate to maneuver its way down to completely block out all crevices. By that point I will have already moved on to the next project. Either way we shall see, it maybe a waste of money, but I certainly have spent money on far worse.  

Thanks for that clear up. The stuff looks more like gravel/rocks than sand. I was picturing actual fine grade sand. Now I see how it would work. From the picture, 1/3rd of the front will be all soil and then gradually getting thinner as you go towards the back so it will be mostly powersand with a small amount of soil.

Yes! The name is misleading as it is almost just a bunch of lava rock rubble. 

I've used Home Depot lava rock under deep substrate before, but I was lucky enough to get a bag of Powersand Special S for free and I'm gonna give it a shot to help with this really steep sloping scape- along with some egg crate.  I'll let you know what happens. lol. The "Special" version just has ADA Bacter 100 and Superclear mixed in. I'm using it in hopes that the 6" deep substrate at the back doesn't go anoxic. :o Definitely wouldn't actually go buy it 'cause its like 10x more expensive than just lava rock and bacter supplements, unless it ends up working unbelievably well. :cool:

12 hours ago, DETAquarium said:

Yes, place it on the very bottom of the tank, before adding in your substrate. Just as in The Green Machine photo, I sloped my PowerSand, with it being higher in the back to accommodate the larger Cyperus helferi.

Here's a picture of the back of my 60-H:

IMG_3775.JPG

And the side:

IMG_3777.JPG

Please excuse the flash, but wanted to show you that the ADA AS Powder type shows some compaction near the middle and top layers, whereas the ADA AS Regular type and Power Sand are holding their shape after six months since initial setup.