Should I throw everything away or not?

rambamodam

Hi everyone!

I've been meaning to sell/giveaway my cherries and amano's to start a Taiwan bee tank. The TDS in this tank is around 350 and my question to you guys is... after i clear out the tank should I just throw the old eco-complete substrate away and start new or should I just replace old water with RODI and go from there? Thanks guys/gals!

If the shrimps in your current tank are healthy/thriving, I'd think that replacing water with RODI and re-mineralizing would be a better idea. There's probably a microbial community/ecosystem developed in your tank already that'd probably benefit the shrimps, and no real point of cycling again and waiting. :) 

Good luck on your new tank! (I've started out with cherries too, but Taiwan bee's are just too cool xD) 

Setting up for a TB tank you might want to do a few things to ensure a successful tank. 

1. Upgrade substrate from eco-complete to active soil. Anything like SL-Aqua, ADA, ContraSoil.. etc 

-This step will ensure a stable PH. Simply switching to RO water does not ensure your PH will not bounce up an down. 

2. Switch to RO water and make sure you buy a remineralizer like Salty Shrimp GH+. Plain RO water will not meet the requirements shrimp need. Roughly TDS of 100-150 and Gh 5 is what you should aim for.

What I would keep is the filters going till you make the change. This way the cycle process will go much faster.