Shipping to Hawaii

MinusInfinity

I've shipped packages all over the continental US but never to Hawaii.
I've shipped shoes to Hawaii in the past but never live shrimp so I know how long it can take. I live on the East Coast so it is a lot farther than for those who live on the West Coast. 

I was wondering what if there is anything extra I should do besides what I have planned.

Double Insulated box priority mail box with a styrofoam wall, housing insulation, then paper towel wrapped breather bag. This is my go to method when I ship to places which require 3 days. 

I wasn't sure if I needed a heatpack since it isn't officially winter time with very low temperatures and I've read a bunch of cases where shrimps ended up living for a month while lost in transit since it was during the cold season. 

3 hours ago, MinusInfinity said:

I was wondering what if there is anything extra I should do besides what I have planned.

check to see if they're legal to import.;)

AFAIK,they're not.

anything live that's legal needs the buyer to get a permit.

you include a copy in the box and mark the box for inspection.

if you just send it...

w/ marked "live fish" or they do a spot inspection,it wont arrive to the buyer.

I've had shrimp come in from Hawaii. They require no special permits or fees. They were packed normally with single wall insulation and some newspaper around a breather. Although extra insulation wouldn't hurt, I didn't lose a single one. Heatpacks are usually only used if the temp will get below 20 F, so I think you're okay. It did take an extra day to get here, and I'm in California, so keep that in mind.

the selling or distribution of neocaridina is illegal in Hawaii as it dangers the endemic opae ula in the wilds :)

However I have a friend who still orders shrimp from ppl on shrimpspot and they arrive in 3 days fine. and he plans to send me some of those wild river neos :D 

They take up the natural resources. theres some that live in the mountain rivers. 3 areas that the opae ula live in :)

Yes this is true, Import vs. Export laws

I know 2 hobby breeders there, 1 does F.W.S. & the other Tropical fresh water fishes.

Import laws  there are VERY strict one must obtain a permit for receiving & shipping out "live plants & animals" for a lousy $50.00 per year) and if the receiver on their end gets caught, there are big fines and could give off red flags to what they're up to on their end as well. I had my Hawiaian fish friend visit here in Seattle, I brought him a few things to take home with them, his girlfriend put 2 kordon breather bags of babies wild-type live bearers in her bra! She was on the smaller side to begin with so they fit just perfect! LOL

You can take your chances but do not label the box in any way, but still they could most likely get seized by a dogs sharp nose at customs anyways.

Update: I just looked up the permit costs for Hawaii and it HAS changed since I had this up looked a year ago, I DO NOT see any Neo's or Cardia's on the restricted list  but most Goodeids! bummer as I raise these too, but one should do a though check anyways...