Just a few pics - Aura and red

easyshrimp

Just now, Vshrimp said:

Hey welcome to the forum :D

Btw they are actually Caridina Serrata

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

According to studies by Andreas Karge they are cantonensis. But I agree there is some confusion about shrimp names. Especially because of the messy use of common names and old names clinging on to shrimps.

Either way they are one of my favourites :)

My current species list:

Caridina cantonensis - Tangerine Tiger
Caridina cantonensis - Aura Blue
Caridina cf. cantonensis - Red Tüpfel
Caridina trifasciata - very variable strain - blue, striped, non-striped etc.
Caridina mariae - Blue wildtype with backline
Caridina mariae - Greenish wildtype with backline
Caridina cf. babaulti - Stripes
Caridina venusta
Caridina sp. Nemo Bee
Caridina sp. Raccoon Tiger
Paracaridina haivanensis - Princess Bee
Paracaridina sp. Blue Bee/Schoko Bee

Neocaridina davidi - Green Jade
Neocaridina davidi - Orange Sakura
Neocaridina davidi - Blue Dream
Neocaridina davidi - Yellow Fire Neon
Caridina mariae - Red Tiger
Caridina mariae - Red Tiger OE
Caridina mariae - Deep Blue Tiger
Caridina mariae  - Royal Blue Tiger
Red Taiwan-tank - Red Blot, Red Wine, Red Ruby, Red Ruby Extreme, Red Shadow Mosura
Black/Blue Taiwan Tank - Blue Bolt, Blue Shadow Mosura, Blue Panda, Kingkong, Kingkong Extreme.
Pinto-tank - Red and Black Zebra/Multistripe
Backline-tank - Red and Black Skunk/Backline.
Steel Red
Steel Blue - Michael Nadals Crazy Blue strain

Ghost bees - Stev Kolditz' line with "interesting genetics"

You can also see my blog:

http://easyshrimp.blogspot.dk/

Welcome EasyShrimp! We are glad to have you, looks like you will add a wealth of knowledge with all of your colonies.

That is a good collection! Some species I haven't even seen in the US

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Welcome to TSS! 

Nice collection of shrimp! 

Can't wait to see some of these species make their way to the states?

I'm interested about the c. Serrata discussion. If c. Serrata has really been found to simply be a false species, I would love to read an article.

Easyshrimp, do you have a link?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, pucksr said:

I'm interested about the c. Serrata discussion. If c. Serrata has really been found to simply be a false species, I would love to read an article.

Easyshrimp, do you have a link?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Caridina serrata is not a false species, just misidentified in the hobby, just as it is the case with all the Caridina "breviata" that is in fact other species as C. venusta and so on.

In the Facebook-group "shrimp description" Andreas has put some of his findings. 

His website http://www.deichwall19.selfhost.eu:8080/MyWeb/caridea/index.html needs a serious update but if you can read German it contains a lot of info.

15 hours ago, easyshrimp said:

Caridina serrata is not a false species, just misidentified in the hobby, just as it is the case with all the Caridina "breviata" that is in fact other species as C. venusta and so on.

My German is non-existent, which is awful.

I originally thought you were trying to say that C. Serrata was a falsely created species.
I understand your statement now. Andreas has observed many Tupfel shrimp(I believe this is the common german term for this group), and they all appear to be C. Cantonensis. They do not show the morphological traits of C. Serrata. 

Yes, there are loads of different "tüpfel" shrimp. I have kept a few different ones and most are robust and fast breeding.

I also had some that was supposed to be real serrata. Very slow breeders and small broods. Slimmer looking than most of the tüpfels. If they actually were the real thing I don't know for shure.

8 hours ago, easyshrimp said:

Yes, there are loads of different "tüpfel" shrimp. I have kept a few different ones and most are robust and fast breeding.

I also had some that was supposed to be real serrata. Very slow breeders and small broods. Slimmer looking than most of the tüpfels. If they actually were the real thing I don't know for shure.

So, you have a great blog.
I am very interested in shrimp genetics.

I am curious about your opinion. It would seem that there are a few "sub-species" of C. cantonensis. You refer to the Aura Blue as a wild-type.
Is the current argument that "Tangerine Tiger", "Tiger Shrimp", "Aura Blue", and "Red tüpfel" shrimp are all wild-types?
I was under the impression that Aura Blue and Red
tüpfel were domestic strains. However, if they were wild-type it would make sense. It seems that they all seem to have VERY different tolerance for water parameters. My reading has indicated that Aura Blue is a soft water shrimp like Bee Shrimp while Tangerine and Reds are a hard water shrimp?

I will dig out some photos of the types I have had. 

Aura blue and tangerine tiger are both very prolific and hardy. Tolerates a wide range of parameters between pH 5.5-7.5 and 200-500 microsiemens/cm.

Both are found wild.

Red Tüpfel are more a soft water type and a slow breeder.

Real tiger shrimp  (Caridina mariae) also tolerates a wide range although from some locations they prefer soft water.