Cholla wood

Amyers22

Who all uses cholla wood in their shrimp tanks? Do you boil it before putting it in the tank? I've always used it, but have had people tell me they have had problem tanks in which they had cholla wood. Overall what are your good and bad experiences with it and would you recommend it to someone setting up their first shrimp tank?

Thanks in advance! 

I've always used cholla wood in all of my shrimp tanks and never had a problem. Boiling them before placing them into tanks is more of a precaution measure and it also helps reduce tannins if you hate tea colored water. I also found that boiling it also helps speed up the time it takes for them to sink.

I boil the cholla for 10 minutes to remove anything which may be on it and then let it cool before I put it in my tank. This also helps the wood sink as well. I never had any issues with it once it was inside the tank and shrimp like to pick at the newly boiled cholla for some odd reason. 

I have never boiled it. It does often get a white fungus for the first few weeks but the shrimp will eat it and it will disappear on its own after a bit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk