Using a peat substrate for ph control?

So I am looking into getting Amazonia soil for my upcoming tank project however based on the price I don't want to use too much of it.

I was wondering if using a base of organic miracle gro potting mix (which I've used before) and organic peat moss (used but not in substrate) and having a Amazonia topper would be enough to keep my ph low enough for TB's? I have always liked planted tanks and I figure the peat will help keep the ph lower with the use of less Amazonia.

I plan on getting a ro unit before this project and remineralizing the water.

Think it would work?

-Duffy

If you plan on investing on TB's there is no need to skimp on the substrate. I would personally just get enough ADA to do the job since it's stable.

Risking it with expensive shrimp is just not worth it specially if you plan on paying $17-20 per shrimp.

How big is the tank you plan on using? I know 9-10L bag will do the job for a 20L and a 3L bag is plenty for a 5g.

Have any of you heard of what the best shrimp soils are that are out there?  When I move in about a year I will look into bringing in substrates.  The problem is just the volume and storage issue.  I would need to buy a pallet rack of them to make it economical I think. 

Honestly if you brought some in it be gone as soon as you get it. So why not on preorder you? Get enough orders to get a pallet when it get's here ship it out.

Brightwell Aquatics Rio Escuro is a great alternative, I think I heard they went back into producing it. Its a bit pricey as well, but acted almost exactly like ADA soils

Lowkey's breeder soil can last longer than 24 months I'd like to try it. That would be cool If they put Brightwell Aquatic's Rio Escuro back on the market. I have a bag of up aqua shrimp sand that I want to try out it's really pricey 20$ for 4 pounds. The new Fluval stratum so far is doing it's job and I have no complaint's , as far as price to proven performance ADA is pretty much king.

I've heard it's good stuff maybe i'll use it in a tener with some cbs.  Going to go with ADA Amazonia for my tibee project because of the proven track record, once I get babies i'll try other substrates for experiments.   

The problem is getting the us fish and wild life to approve others and I have heard it takes a while to get them approved. I hear the US ag dept gets involved.... There are ones like benibachi, borneo wild, Ellen wang and several types out there. But even breeders in Taiwan and Japan use ada

I want to try the ista soil and control soil. But I'm afraid to leave Ada because it works so well. On one of my future breeding projects I plan to get a wild pair of apistos (yes Bryce even though we talked about this) and use Ada that buffered lower than 6.4 and try to breed them to a line breeding and bring a different color out than ones on the market,

For the Amazonia should I be using the normal type or the powder type? I could see a smaller granule (powder) being good for shrimp to move around but I'm not too familiar with either

-Duffy