Illness

sfsam

39 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

I obtained my ro/di filter when I started keeping saltwater tanks about 3-4 years ago when I moved into my current home and started keeping shrimp again.  The previous home had good enough tap water to keep neo shrimp in while the current house does not (different municipalities).  I have a 6 stage unit that I built myself for ~$70 + the filter media.  I have used it for ~4 years (replaced the media once) and my final TDS is still 0 so I get roughly 2 years life out of my filter media.  TDS at the tap is variable but no less than 350 and generally no more than 525.  I dont burn through DI resin any faster than sediment or carbon or the ro membrane.  My unit is ~18" x 18" x 6" (i think).  I can measure when I get home and post a pic if you would like. 

for me to replace my filter media I can get it all at one time for ~$50 or if I want to be price conscious I can get it cheaper piece by piece on amazon.  I bought a replacement kit in anticipation of only getting a year out of the filters since ramping up my production of water and am still pumping out 0 TDS water.

If this is still out of your budget, I would suggest picking up from the grocery store the distilled water and remineralizing that.  At my local grocer a gallon of distilled water is about $1.  When you only change out 10% of the tank water per week, this is a cheap alternative and maybe more feasable for your situation until you decide to buy your 1st ro unit.

Which RO/DI unit did you get?  That is very good life especially that your tds is so high.  

3 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

the hardware is diy.  the media is from bulk reef supply.

What are you using for each of your stages?  Just curious because that is great how great of filtering you are getting with that tds and having to change the filters so little.  Good stuff and thank you.

1 minute ago, ClownPlanted said:

What are you using for each of your stages?  Just curious because that is great how great of filtering you are getting with that tds and having to change the filters so little.  Good stuff and thank you.

I will have to double check on the micron sizes, but if I remember right

5 micron sediment - 1 micron block carbon - 1 micron block carbon - 75 gpd ro membrane - di resin - di resin

update:

just looked up my old order 01/02/2016

it is 1 micron for everything.  Here is the page it takes me to when searching the item/sku #.  This package is a differnt item/sku # but the same items.  this years version anyway.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-6-stage-ro-di-replacement-filter-kit.html

update:
just looked up my old order 01/02/2016

it is 1 micron for everything.  Here is the page it takes me to when searching the item/sku #.  This package is a differnt item/sku # but the same items.  this years version anyway.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-6-stage-ro-di-replacement-filter-kit.html

Very cool thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk