Murphy's Law!

Merth

IF it can go wrong it will :(. I acquired some crs and some tibees from Jaime (Ravensgate) a couple months ago. After almost a month and no deaths I thought I was out of the woods so I thought I was safe to add to the colony so I got some crs and cbs from Tanner (tanmanaz19). Everything was fine at first. One of the cbs was berried as was one of the tibees. I actually was able to spot at least one baby before disaster struck. This summer we got into the habit of closing the fishroom door to keep the baby out of the tanks. Well the wife decided to turn on the heater while I was at work. With the door closed and the heater vent right over the tank the temp shot up to 84 degrees. When I got home and saw dead shrimp of course I freaked out. Did a wc and put a fan over the tank and closed the vent. Got the temp down to 70 degrees and breathed a sigh of relief. Next day I check the tank and the water is cloudy...shoot! another wc and now I'm down to 3 crs and 2 tibees. Next day tank water is totally cloudy again. I can only believe its going through another cycle, bloom something. So this time I do about a 90% wc hoping for the best. Next day cloudy again...when I say cloudy I mean I can barely see anything through the water.

Params

70% temp

7.0 ph

5 gh

0-1 kh

140ish tds

Ive lost all but 1 crs, 2 tibees, and 2 (out of 30ish) chocolate neos. Now Im thinking maybe bacteria infection or else my FSS is leaching something (only about 3-4 months old). I gave up...I will reset the tank once I finish the new rack and try again. 

This all happened a week or so ago just haven't had the heart to discuss it :(. I really loved those shrimp and feel like I failed them :( I'm sorry Jaime and Tanner and Bryce I feel like I let you guys down also. :(

And to the new people here sorry I havent welcomed as I should have :(

Hey man, stuff happens, ya know?  I'm sorry you lost your shrimp, dude.  It happens to all of us at some time or another.  Not trying to make light of it, but making sure you know sometimes stuff just happens. :(

I think the cloudiness may have been harmless bacterial bloom.  That can clear itself up in a week to two weeks without doing anything.  Drastic water changes may have done more harm than good, however all this is speculation.  It may have indeed been substrate.  Who knows?

At least starting anew will give you peace of mind that everything is reset for best results.

Sorry to hear that Merth. :(  My heart goes out to you.  Grieving after something like that is natural, but I hope you bounce back quickly.  And I'm sure none of the people you got the shrimp from hold you at fault, or think any less of you.  Murphy occasionally rules supreme for all.

Ouch sorry.  I hate it when that sort of stuff happens!

• 10 years later...

Cloudy water will usually clear up on its on without drastic water changes. It's mostly not harmful to fish and will clear up naturally without drastic water changes. It's always best to ask a professional before making drastic changes to your tank. We have all learned from our mistakes.