20L Dwarf Puffer, My lil stalker tank O.o

Sake

So on the 29th of October 2013 I got a package in the mail. It was my new Dwarf Puffers! I was so excited, I have heard a lot about them, how much personality they have. Boy let me tell ya'll people weren't kidding.

There have been several times I have thought one died. I'd count and count and count for weeks only ended up finding 5. Well one day I was too busy to feed them no big deal, but the next time I fed them all 6 of them showed up. I swear this one that pulls a Houdini on me and disappears is screwing with me! The next few weeks I could only count 5 puffers again. I started to doubt myself thinking I miscounted before. Nope got busy again skipped 1 day of feeding, next day all 6 show up. I dunno if it's a game to him, or if he thinks it's funny, but it really ticks me off lmao. Anyhow here lately I guess the game has gotten boring so I can count 6 at almost every feeding :)

Now, another thing these lil fellows do...Stalk....You ever get the feeling that someone is watching you? Well in this room there is @.@ I can be sitting on the couch watching TV or reading the forums and I get a feeling that someone is watching me. I'll look about trying to see who it is, figuring it's one of my cats...Nope glace past the puffer tank....and see someone staring at me. Actually 4-6 someones. They are so inquisitive, if I'm cleaning up the house, they're following me watching me wanting to see what I'm doing. I installed a RO/DI system next to their tank and the whole time they were all on that side of the tank watching me. They also watch my cats O.o I keep one of the cats houses next to the tank and my grey cat will sit there and watch the fish. Dwarf puffers will swim right up to the tank, right in my cats face lookin at him, it's fairly amusing my cat kinda goes cross eyed trying to watch them XD

Anyhow please forgive the state of my tank, I used MGOCPM, with red clay powder mixed in it, capped with black blast. Well the MGOCPM came loaded with earth worms who just made a huge mess the red clay is all over the tank in some pics.

Specs...

20L tank

2215 canister filter

2 8 1/2 inch dome lights with 13 watt CFL

Plants

Crypts

Micro swords

pygmy chain swords

jungle val

wisteria

pennywort

various java ferns

Alternanthera reineckii

hygrophila corymbosa kompakt

few others I can't think of right now

Fauna

Dwarf puffers of course!

few cherry shrimp we'll see how long they last

few snails that haven't been picked off yet

freakin earth worms! Suckers can live forever underwater it seems

Now for the pics, hope ya'll enjoy!

Acclimating them, they are soo tiny

Puffer-Chili013.jpg

Bit of funky algae

Puffer048.jpg

Hunting a snail!

Puffer054.jpg

Right side of the tank

Puffertake2009.jpg

Opposite of right side of tank O.o

Puffertake2010.jpg

Full tank shot

Tangerinetiger004.jpg

One decided to stay still long enough for me to get a semi decent pic!

Puffertake2019.jpg

The snail graveyard!

Feeding010.jpg

Hello! Why yes I am watching  you...Is that gonna be a problem?!?!

Feeding019.jpg

Okay so have to do this in 2 parts, had too many pictures so these are the 1 month mark pics...

Full tank shot

Dwarfpuffer001.jpg

Right side full of crypts

Dwarfpuffer003.jpg

Got all 6 in a pic blurry but hey I'll take what I can get

Feedjournal010.jpg

Today's feeding time some are blurry but one is perfect :D

Feedjournal012.jpg

Feedjournal013.jpg

The perfect pic!

Feedjournal017.jpg

Feedjournal019.jpg

Today's full tank shot 12/13/2013

Journal005.jpg

Love that one tugging on the red worm! I can see the appeal on the dwarf puffers. I love my guppies, but they are in their own happy little world. Bettas are different, like the puffers.

Always watching, interactive. (Speaking of interactive, what are those fish that suck on toes? Can they live in a footie massage bath? j/k)

Take those earthworms and go fishing! They won't last long under water.

Nice lush set-up :)

-Stef*

They get around 1 inch long. Right now they're about the size of my thumbnail.

I've read that as long as the water is highly oxygenated, the earthworms can live quite a long time under water.  Coolish. heh

Love that show where the puffer is looking straight at'cha. heh

How large do these get?

Thank you very much! I love the jungle look the sculpted gardens I see everyone doing look beautiful, but wild and natural is more my tastes.

Nice tank! Love your planting. :) I've never had dwarf puffers, but I've heard they are quite entertaining. :)

This is kinda like fishing! Well fish are trying to eat the worms the worms are just too big right now for them >.< Although I did see 2 play tug of war with a worm and eat one eventually lol.

Love that one tugging on the red worm! I can see the appeal on the dwarf puffers. I love my guppies, but they are in their own happy little world. Bettas are different, like the puffers.

Always watching, interactive. (Speaking of interactive, what are those fish that suck on toes? Can they live in a footie massage bath? j/k)

Take those earthworms and go fishing! They won't last long under water.

Nice lush set-up :)

-Stef*

• 2 weeks later...

They say 1 per 5 gallons of water so should only have 4 even though various LFS have told me I can house up to 10. I have a 20 long which has a bigger footprint and it's heavily planted so I am hoping to get away with 6. So far so good.